Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I just got a v2 E4200, and I've been trying to figure out if I can use a USB hub with it. I know you couldn't with the first version, but I can't find out anything about this one. Anyone tried it and know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

You can get an even cheaper one on Amazon for like 5 bucks.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Crossposting this between the Home Networking thread and the Hardware Short Questions thread.

I'm in the process of building a wireless network for a large house (a fraternity) that has an existing, but slipshod, wired network. I have the ability to change anything that I need to, as long as it falls within the budget (I've got around $1000 to play with initially, and can probably convince my funding source for more) and won't cause issues. At the moment, I'd like to just add a wireless network that would service between 60 and 80 people at a time. My plan is to purchase 12 routers, 1000ft of Cat6 patch cord, and repurpose an old desktop as a media server. My big question, is will I be able to plug each router into the switch and maintain a single wireless network, or will I need to have a "master" router, connected to a 10Gbit switch, which is then connected to the other routers? Furthermore, could I set up the old desktop as both server and router using something like MikroTik? I'm also interested in the possibility of using the server/router combo as a modem, which I understand is difficult.

If all of this is too complicated or not practical, my final question is how would you recommend rebuilding the network, both wired and wireless, with a server attached? In a perfect world, we'd be wireless-only, but there are some dinosaurs who resist change.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

CuddleChunks posted:

Buy a Unifi system from Ubiquiti. You'll need one computer at the head-end to act as the controller and then you'll place the AP's around the house to ensure good coverage. A decent Mikrotik should do you well for handling the front-end routing duties and they play well with Unifi gear. You'll need a switch or two for the wired folks. A $1000 will cover far fewer AP's but I don't think you're going to need 12 to cover the house. Likely 4 - 6 will be sufficient. I'd feel safer with about 3x the budget overall to make sure you can get sufficient gear and gigabit switches and all. Still you can get started in a decent way and add more Unifi pods as you get more money.

I've got an old Dell I'd like to reuse as a router. Would it be possible to use it both as the Mikrotik router (using one of their PCIe expansion cards) and the controller unit, or do they have to be separate?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Alright, fair enough.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Comcast is renowned for its horrible quality. They're your problem, not the hardware.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

crm posted:

That's a good idea. Any recommend models?

Ubiquiti Unifi products. Either the base model or the Long Range (-LR) should be fine.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Platystemon posted:

In case anyone else upgraded firmware on their Ubiquiti device and noticed that it can no longer bridge with non‐Ubiquiti APs: the secret is to disable aggregation on the advanced tab.

Consumer APs don’t support aggregation, but the Ubiquiti device tries to use it anyway. This results in a link that looks good on the web interface but doesn’t pass any packets.

Speaking of, have you had any problems with connections timing out repeatedly over the period of a day or two? Mine weren't running the latest firmware, and I upgraded them last night, but I'm curious if it's the APs (a mix of LRs and regulars), the router (a Mikrotik in-house solution) or the switches (2x24 GBit trendnets). It's a relatively new problem, so I'm hoping it was just a lovely beta firmware version that I had upgraded to.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

How in the hell is that anything BUT permanent?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Yep, I'm running 8 of those and they're flawless. Make sure you update to the current release firmware, though, and don't auto-update to the betas. There have been some insane bugs (that are quickly worked out) that can be a bitch to deal with.