Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I just setup DD-WRT on a D-Link DIR-615 to act as a wireless bridge. (Not a repeater bridge.) It is running in client bridge mode and has the gateway and DNS pointing at the primary AP, and is set to 'router' rather than 'gateway'.

Primary AP is 192.168.0.1. The DIR-615 is set to 192.168.0.100

When I connect a computer (Win7 laptop) to it, it is able to pull an IP address ( 192.168.0.8 ) and I can ping across the network. All's good so far. Here's the weird part:

I can access the internet, for about 30 seconds to a minute, then internet access dies and I can only access the network.

If I restart the router or sometimes if I disable and re-enable the connection in windows, I have internet again, briefly. Running a ping -t immediately shows a steady response... which then becomes sprinkled with "Destination host unreachable" then changes to "Destination host unreachable" sprinkled with "Request timed out"

Any idea what is going on? I have never used DD-WRT before so I'm sure I'm screwing something obvious up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Dogen posted:

Giant Isopod - doing some googling I saw that model seems to work with DD WRT in repeater mode but not bridge mode, strangely. Try that instead.

I looked up what versions of DD-WRT that model would support, and verified that client bridge was in that version, but it never occurred to me to explicitly check that the model itself would work with it. Whoops.

Repeater mode will put everything connected to the repeater on a different subnet though... I want this for file shares so I wonder how much that will complicate things. I'll give it a shot though.