Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
My internet is acting up and being slow as all hell and reading the OP leads me to believe the modem is the problem. We are currently using a Netgear DM-111P that we got from our internet provider hooked into an Apple Airport for wireless. As the modem was free I'm assuming its lovely as hell. How more expensive a modem/router will I need to get things to a workable speed? I'm on ADSL2+ if that helps.

I know I'm a bit light on the details but I don't really know what info helps with this stuff, I just want my net to work :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Im using this:

Apple Airport, its also 500G external back-up drive.

Using ozspeedtest.com it sayd my line speed is 191 kbps and my download speed is 24kbs. I am in Australia and our internet is pretty lovely compared to wait you get in the states, but I can't even load 10 seconds of video with out it loving up.

Its usually only my laptop in use, a macbook.

Our internet used to be fine but around a month or two ago it started doing this, we've just switched to a new provider, who admittedly was not the best choice (Dodo) and in the process have changed from a ADSL 1 modem to the Netgear one, but have seen little change in performance.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 26, 2012

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
We had to reboot the Airport in order get it to recognise the modem when we got it, so I don't think that would fix it, though its age could be a problem.

Looking at the Modem speed it says downstream is 19477kbps, up is 760kbps. I hooked plugged the ethernet into the computer but it said that the ethernet was using a different IP address, so it wouldn't hook up.

Yea I think we're supposed to getting fibre too but god knows how long that crap will take.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Devian666 posted:

You should give a time capsule a reboot every few weeks otherwise it will slow down considerably. I'm not saying this because it's something nice to try out I'm telling you to do this and see if it helps. We can help you troubleshoot but if you don't try the first step it's not possible to help you. If you try this I can guide you through direct connection to the modem though given it's new and this model of modem is quite reliable it's unlikely to be the issue.

We only got the modem last week and I called up the Apple support line and had the guy talk me through rebooting and changing the settings etc. so haven't I already done that? If I am mistaken I will give it a go.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Devian666 posted:

Something I discovered recently is that the restart option in the airport utility seems to fix a number of time capsule quirks which a restart by power cycling doesn't seem to fix. A curious quirk but this is how I fix any issues relating to my time capsule.

e: I've also found that to restart my network I have to restart the modem first and wait for it to connect first then start the time capsule. Whereas other routers aren't so picky.

Yea we did it using the restart button on the utility because the little pin-hole restart wouldn't work for some reason.

When I try to connect my computer directly to the modom via ethernet to see if its faster it says it cant connect because the ethernet is using a different IP adress, any idea how I can fix that so I can see if the wireless is the problem?