Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm finally fed up with my ISP-provided router and want to get a different unit. Running on Frontier (well, now Ziply) 100/100 fiber, I've got an ethernet interface so I should be able to throw in just about any router. Looking for input and suggestions.

Been reading through the past few pages and seems like Unifi routers are well-regarded here? Works for me, we've got Unifi WAPs (and a handful of switches) at work. That said I'm also open to other suggestions.

- I live by myself and have a couple of PCs doing light server duty. The only wifi devices are my smartphone, and occasionally a laptop.
- I'm not planning on upgrading internet speed again in the foreseeable future, so as long as the router will do 100mb I'm happy.
- I don't really need the router to include a wifi antenna as I wouldn't mind getting a standalone WAP to locate more centrally in the apartment.
- I've already got a separate gig switch and don't really need the router to have switch ports.
- I'm not fussing with VLANs or VPNs at home.

From what I've read the last few pages, it sounds like the Unifi Dream Machine would be serious overkill (and also isn't rock-solid yet? that's a big no-no, I'm very much not looking to janitor the router after initial setup), and that either the EdgeRouter-X or the Unifi Security Gateway would be a better fit.

Someone mentioned the ER-X is outdated: is performance on it weak, or is it missing certain features, or is it due to go EOL soon? Because I'm really liking that $59 MSRP.

Please let me know which direction would be better, or if there's another brand/model I should also be considering, and thanks in advance for any input you have to offer! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

beepsandboops posted:

How is Ziply? I'm in the area too and was thinking about making the switch, but Frontier has pretty awful reviews and I wasn't sure if the acquisition would make things worse.

They haven't made anything worse yet, for me anyway (I'm in Oregon). I think it's too soon to tell though, they just took over a few weeks ago. Also while there might be some policy changes they could make I think the biggest change is going to be how much money they're willing to put into the infrastructure, since my understanding is most of the actual operations and line people are going to be the same people that were working for Frontier.

SlowBloke posted:

er-x/er-l/usg are pretty much the same level of performance. They are old and busted but if you plan on never going faster than 100/100 they should be fine. If you don't care/plan to janitor your router maybe evaluate spending a tad more for a usg, GUI is less complex.

I'm fine with digging in when I need to actually do a configuration change, I'm just not interested in following firmware updates to address performance/feature concerns. The only time I really want to install a firmware update is when there's a security bug that needs to be fixed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wonder if the lease for your WAN IP address was still active, and when the UDM came on and requested an IP your ISP basically went "hold up, you get one IP and that's already been assigned to [whatever MAC address your old router had]"

Might try setting your UDM's WAN port to have the same MAC that your old router did and see if that does it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

I seem to have resolved my Unifi problem via MAC spoofing even though my service shouldn’t be locked [it’s all my own equipment including the cable modem].

does your equipment get your WAN IP address via DHCP? if so, i bet if you released the DHCP lease and then turned off MAC spoofing, you'd get an IP address on the native MAC address

but, it's working right now as-is, so probably not really worth the effort to futz around with it further