Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Slo-Tek posted:

So, I built this houseboat over the last few 10 years or so. It is 55 yards from the belkin N spec router in a closet with a few doors and windows and 50 yards of lawn and dock inbetween. As it stands my signal drops off mid yard about 15 yards short of where I need it. Need more range. Per the op, I want a better router. Will that be enough?
I also am tasked with finding out about antenna options for the boat, with the dream of being able to use public wifi from a marina wherever we might take the thing. Probably mostly using an ipad on the boat, so it wont have anywhere to plug a bigger more directional antenna into the computer. A router repeater whichever that has a good reach from the boat to public wifi in other marinas would be nice, if anybody has any thoughts on that.

Some cheap directional antenna might get you the rest of the way.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-NT-TL-ANT2406A-2-4GHz-6dBi/dp/B000S0J4C2/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

I've used one of these with good results on a PC, haven't tried it on the router end tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
I have a debian server running OpenVPN on a static ip on my home network (192.168.1.48). I'd like to also install PiHole on the instance and have it block ads on my home network as well as when I'm connected to the VPN.

Do I follow this guide and use the tun0 interface?
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-install-pi-hole-with-a-openvpn/

code:
openvpn@debianvpn:~$ ip a show dev tun0
3: tun0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN group default qlen 100
    link/none
    inet 10.8.0.1 peer 10.8.0.2/32 scope global tun0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
openvpn@debianvpn:~$ ip a show dev eth0
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:a0:98:fd:ef:02 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.48/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0
    inet6 fe80::2a0:98ff:fefd:ef02/64 scope link