Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have ATT gigapower and I finally got tired of the official router's slowdowns and crappy wifi (It frequently slowed down to 50-150Mbps or much less and failed to connect to pages until I reset the router completely), so I bought a ERL, Unifi AC-Lite, and a 8 port switch because I need everything on one network and I didn't want to deal with a software bridge. The Ubiquiti hardware is amazing after I finally worked out how to get everything set up (seriously, why not just set up DHCP as default?), and I was pleasantly surprised with ATT when I found out that setting the ERL into the Uverse router's 'DMZPlus' mode set it up as a bridge or something! The ERL is getting my public IP, not an internal one from the ATT router. While it is a bit annoying not having everything integrated into one box, they are an awesome pair of equipment. I just wish I could cut out the ATT router completely, especially since I don't have cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Of course, a few hours after posting I'm getting a really thing where my internet and routing is working perfectly fine (if a bit slow) but my dashboard looks like this:

[NOTE: Nothing is connected to eth2/local 2, and I had disabled it earlier, but maybe it resets on restart?]

WTF is going on? I've tried restarting and power cycling it, but nothing fixed it. It's not hurting anything as far as i know, but its working correctly.

:sigh: I do not want to set this drat thing up again, even though I did save the config file. Although, if whatever is going on is due to the config file, that wouldn't work.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

You simply cannot do a real bridge mode with ATT equipment. . . The modem is still doing very limited NAT for TV and phone regardless of wether you have TV and phone service or not, it's just one of the downsides of having the internet, phone, and TV all being suppiled through one connection to the modem. With a cable ISP, your cable boxes each have their own coax connection to the ISP. You cannot disable the phone and TV on ATT modem, similarly you cannot disable the phone service on an ISP provided cable modem, but you can purchase a 3rd party modem without phone. Similarly, there are no ADSL u-verse compatible modems since U-Verse uses 802.1x with a certificate in the modem.

It's not terribly bad, unless you need SIP ALG (ip phone) or IGMPv3 (TV). I still hate ATT after using U-verse, but I didn't have gigabit which I am sure is not being run over 50 year phone service lines.

Yeah, you're exactly right. I was just surprised to see the public IP being relayed to the ERL, rather than the personal 192.168 DHCP IP like my old FiOS router did. With the FiOS router, I don't quite know how I managed it, but for about 6 months I had my old router connected to the ONT directly, rather than through the FiOS router, which I had Daisy chained off that router. That was awesome.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I have AT&T gigabit internet, and an er-lite connected to the provided router/modem's DMZ works perfectly for me-- the er-l reports eth0's ip/gateway (the ip for outside) as my outside ip/gateway and there are zero port/NAT issues that I've come across. Setting the port on the er-l or letting upnp2 do its work lets things through perfectly. I regularly hit 100 Mbyte/s downloading to my eth connected PCs (which is only like 300-400mbps but you'd be hard pressed to find a server that will serve a full gigabit to a single connection, I assume), and speedtests hit 900+mbps. On my macbook air, speed tests hit ~200 mpbs on a 40Mhz ac channel with a reported transmission rate of 270Mhz, so things seems as good as they can get for that. A haswell NUC, over ethernet, hits 500mbps and rising (it gets to ~475 and slowly keeps increasing until the end of the test).

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

100 MBps is 800Mbps. You're approaching the theoretical max of TCP over GbE.

:downs: oh right. I have no idea what math I was using...

And the ER-L is pretty darn simple. The only quibble I have is that the default condition is rather annoying. DHCP is disabled, so you need to temporarily turn on a static IP to run the set-up wizards (which is good enough for like 90% of people). That should get you mostly set up and the incredible customizability of it should let you set everything else you need. For upnp2 (explicitly 2), I remember some command line stuff to set it up, but it wasn't hard or anything. I did not need to do a thing to get it to work with the att router, thankfully, it asserted its dominance on its own. The only complaint that I have with ubiquiti stuff is that something messes up between the er-l and a unifi: occasionally it will just break entirely and I will have to reset the ap to get it working again.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The controller is java, so its almost as universal as it can be. I also just use the same password as my router :shobon:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help me with some edgerouter issues that are really infuriating. I have an ERL and a unifi DMZed off of my ISP router/modem, but lately they've been making GBS threads themselves. All of a sudden the edgerouter will just up and die-- i lose connections and i can no longer ping or ssh into it, let alone enter the router's page. I'd also lose the unifi's access points, and restarting everything does absolutely nothing. I really should not have to go through the whole loving process of disconnecting things so i can set everything all up again, and luckily it seems it fixes itself after quite a few hours. In the past they all seem to happen at night, around 10, but when I'd wake up the next morning things seem to be just fine and everything works again. Has anyone else run into issues like this and know just what the gently caress is going on? I'm not doing anything exotic with them, and I just have it working as a normal router, with upnp and some static ips and port forwards.

I'm basically at the point where I sell all this and just get a asus router or whatever is in vogue because these issues should not be happening!

also, i removed my switch from the edgerouter and stuck it on the isp router, and somehow i can access one of the computers that I set up statically with an ip address for the ERL, even though the only connection it could possibly make to it is through the isp router...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 13, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
ergh, serial connection? I don't think I have the hardware for that.

But it finally came back up after half an hour. If it truly is a failing usb drive, then it should be easier to clone things, i hope

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

flosofl posted:

Sometimes a console connection is the only way to really diagnose a malfunctioning device.

I have one of these in my "assorted cables" kit bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RHDXDWA

I've used it without issues (in conjunction with the Serial app) on macOS. I imagine it's just as simple to use with Windows or Linux.

oh, it has usb! I was imagining a home made rj-45 soldered to 232 type dealie that I had to find an additional adapter for lol

I love the ubiquiti stuff otherwise, its just annoying when it dies on me

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
My parents have the lovely fios router and it is very troublesome in that multiple devices (running from windows 10, android, iphone, TV) have, all at different times, lost the connection entirely (mostly over wifi but I have had it happen with ethernet) for a minute or two before it came back (afaict wifi itself never went down but the connection through it did). One of the TVs even refuses to get a connection entirely through the router, gladly connecting to wifi and ethernet but failing to connect through the router to the internet at large. Trying to manually set DNS servers doesn't quite work as you need to set everything manually to set the DNS servers and while doing so initially gets a connection for a few seconds (you can even see the ip assignment as active in the router itself), it loses it right away. My computer, connected via ethernet, even had trouble to the point where I had to set the ip manually to get it to work (in which it did) however the router seems to only be able to have one static ip assignment at a time which is weird. Anyways, I want to bypass it entirely since it seems to be the common denominator here unless the fiber service itself or the fiber interface is busted. What's a good consumer router for their purposes that has a relatively high gain antenna, since they also have trouble getting wifi connections where they work, preferably under $75?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

My parents have the lovely fios router and it is very troublesome in that multiple devices (running from windows 10, android, iphone, TV) have, all at different times, lost the connection entirely (mostly over wifi but I have had it happen with ethernet) for a minute or two before it came back (afaict wifi itself never went down but the connection through it did). One of the TVs even refuses to get a connection entirely through the router, gladly connecting to wifi and ethernet but failing to connect through the router to the internet at large. Trying to manually set DNS servers doesn't quite work as you need to set everything manually to set the DNS servers and while doing so initially gets a connection for a few seconds (you can even see the ip assignment as active in the router itself), it loses it right away. My computer, connected via ethernet, even had trouble to the point where I had to set the ip manually to get it to work (in which it did) however the router seems to only be able to have one static ip assignment at a time which is weird. Anyways, I want to bypass it entirely since it seems to be the common denominator here unless the fiber service itself or the fiber interface is busted. What's a good consumer router for their purposes that has a relatively high gain antenna, since they also have trouble getting wifi connections where they work, preferably under $75?

Ok now my phone is having trouble. It's failing at the 'obtaining ip' stage. My laptop still works, as is my mom's laptop

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I have a Fios router too and it's been pretty solid for the basic stuff (I turned off wifi and use Ubiquiti APs for that), but it sounds like the one you have may not be working right. Does it start handing out DHCP addresses again if you reboot it?

I really want to get get a unifi but eh. Restarting *seems* to help some of the time but I can't try that right now as it works just fine for my mom and shes in the middle of working

Also really weirdly, my phone finally does manage to connect to the router and works but then loses the connection after a while and goes back to the 'tries to connect but fails'

In a similar vein, my laptop usually works but commonly loses the connection for a few minutes before being able to re connect

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 30, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm setting to move into a new place where spectrum is going to be my only option. For people who have spectrum or cable internet, is the default modem sufficient? And I'm not sure if I want to bother with prosumer stuff, but should I look first at engenius? I used ubiquiti before but I'm unsure of their current status. If I decide to just go with a regular router, what's the best option for ease of use and quality? Are there any that have highly directional antennae (so I can only target my apartment)? I could just make a ground plane, but where's the fun in that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
No, I'm not going to get a router from them. Part of me wants to do the prosumer thing, but another part can't be arsed.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I recently moved to a new place, and so got a tp-link ax3000 for a router. The issue I'm having is that my old frontier router had a built in DNS so I could just ssh into [user]@[computer name] rather than use an ip address. Is there any way to set that up on my new router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
ugh, figures... Thank you