Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Mikrotik has an Ethernet over IP that *should* be able to do what you want. Depending on what you all have running you will probably flood the DSL connection with broadcast traffic and having nothing be usable at all.

If you're handy and don't mind possibly blowing $150+ on nothing you could get a pair of Routerboards and test. You'd want at least an RB951G for the FIOS site, and pretty much anything they make for the DSL site.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/EoIP

edit: if anything in the chain expects a normal sized Ethernet frame then you're poo poo out of luck

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

two_beer_bishes posted:

Our internet has been lovely lately, the internet will drop out and won't come back until we reset the modem (several times a day, sometimes a couple times within an hour). Cable internet service through Optimum, they provide the modem and router, both of which we've replaced over the last couple weeks with no changes in reliability. I made an appointment for someone to come out on Sunday to check things out, but they said that it's $60 if it's a problem in our house but the fee is waived if the problem is with their service or their equipment. I have until Sunday morning to cancel the appointment, so I have until then to figure out if anything in my house is loving things up. I followed the coax wire from the living room to the basement where it hits the splitter, and it's all new (in the last 5 years when the whole house was rewired). What can I do in the meantime to see if it's something in my house that loving it up?

There should be a box on the outside of your house with the cable companies name on it. The cable from the street runs in one side, the cable to your house on the other. That side should be labeled customer and you should be able to open it. Sit outside with your cable modem, short piece of good coax, and a laptop. If it all works then you know you have to test individual runs of wires and splitters in the house, if it doesn't then its either the modem or the lines outside.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What service do you want to run? Is this something on port 80 where you may not want everything exposed, or is it some weirdo thing that no other computers are going to have open anyway?

On my network I allow the following on the forward chain from the internet:
  • Established connections
  • Related connections
  • ICMPv6 to keep various things from breaking
  • Work's /48
  • My in-law's /64

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 27, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

apropos man posted:

Makes sense. I would have been much less surprised if it had been an SSH session. I assumed that ping is too simplistic to open a session and keep it open. I'll put it down to the way that the software firewall is handled within pfSense.

You probably have a rule for things that are related or already connected. This keeps the firewall from having to run every single packet through the rules when there is no need.

Ping or any other application wouldn't have to do anything special, this would be at a level of the OSI model handled by the operating system.