Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

withoutclass posted:

I have the Lite version and it works well for me. Note that only 4 of the ports do PoE.

This should be ok as I have an AP and one camera currently, with a plan to add another later.

hooah posted:

I also have the 8-port Lite and while it's been mostly fine, it has two or three times in maybe 15 months just dropped off the network. I go through various combinations of unplugging things and resetting the switch and eventually it gets recognized again. But it takes like an hour.

Hmm that’s odd. Is it easily obvious it’s the switch? My IP camera sometimes floods my network but it’s not always obvious so I have to unplug everything to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was going to buy a new Ubiquiti AP (to replace my out of support UAP) and a managed switch to power some POE devices. However it’s been like 3+ months and the APs are still out of stock everywhere.

I’m thinking I’ll go TP Link Omada instead. A bit cheaper and all in stock. I know I’ll have to rebuild the controller/settings for the Wi-Fi but should everything else work as expected?

I run an ER-X from my fibre connection.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can I please get a quick sanity check on the following devices:

TP Link EAP610
TP Link TL-SG2216

Will be to replace a Ubiquiti UAP + POE injector. Will be hooked up to a ER-X for routing.

Will those devices be OK? I assume that switch will power that AP OK?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Beef Of Ages posted:

This is mostly the same setup I have minus the big managed switch. If all you need is PoE to power the AP, there are less expensive options that will work fine. But yeah, what you've described should work as well.

Cyks posted:

The TL-SG2216 in an end of life, non-PoE switch. Are you sure that's the model you meant? If you just need a PoE switch, you should be looking at the TL-SG105PE. Also the ER-X does PoE passthrough, so it may be able to power your UAP instead of using an injector.
I've had the EAP610 since it became available at launch in March.

Pros:
1) Readily available.
2) Can be configured from a web GUI. No controller required.
3) Wall AC adapter included in price.

Cons:
1) This thing is MASSIVE. At least 3 times the size of a a comparable unifi switch, and it would be an eyesore if it was ceiling mounted in a house. They released a v2 two months later in May that is smaller but costs $10 more at amazon.
610v1 dimensions: 9.57 x 9.57 x 2.52 inches
610v2 dimensions: ‎6.3 x 6.3 x 1.32 inches
2) I've had unplug/plug it back in three times since I've got it as the unit just stopped passing traffic. Not a big deal for home use but that is pretty unreliable for an AP. Had quite a few instances when the web GUI took multiple tries to respond to https requests.
3) No DFS support on the US Firmware. Similar APs in this range support it.

In my experience with the EAP610 and Unifi APs, if I were to buy something today, I'd go with the U6-Lite-US.

Whoops I think I’ve put the wrong switch. I just need an 8-10 port managed switch with POE. I only need POE for max 3 ports. Smaller in size is better as it will go into a media stand thing. Any suggestions?

I don’t really need managed but had a plan to setup some vlans down the track so figured why not if it will act like a dumb switch unless configured.

Edit: looks like the TL-SG108PE should work for me?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I realised this last week that the random Internet drop outs I was getting a few times a day after upgrading my Wifi to Omada was due to my AdGuard DNS. A bit of reading people seem on the fence if AdGuard is actually good, I was using Pi-hole before.

I didn’t have time to really dig into what broke it or why but it made me think is it easier/better to just switch to a paid DNS service?

I’m mostly keen to avoid ads and tracking, I know privacy is out the window if you’re using a third party DNS anyway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

I realised this last week that the random Internet drop outs I was getting a few times a day after upgrading my Wifi to Omada was due to my AdGuard DNS. A bit of reading people seem on the fence if AdGuard is actually good, I was using Pi-hole before.

I didn’t have time to really dig into what broke it or why but it made me think is it easier/better to just switch to a paid DNS service?

I’m mostly keen to avoid ads and tracking, I know privacy is out the window if you’re using a third party DNS anyway though.

I've switched to NextDNS and it seems better however most of my issues before I think were 2.4 Ghz interference problems with the odd DNS gently caress up.

Is it expected that the TP-Link EAP610 is actually worse for 2.4 Ghz than my ancient Ubiquiti UAP? 2.4 Ghz is definitely worse since switching. I live in an apartment so interference is real but the UAP seemed to blast the 2.4 Ghz with less issues.

I've had to add another 5 GHz specific SSID to ensure those devices stay on 5 GHz, I know that's not recommended but it seems to work OK. Is this a terrible idea?