Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

benzoapyrene posted:

My edgerouter x kicked the bucket and I'm considering some different options to replace it/redo my network layout and would appreciate suggestions.

My house isn't big, but it's got a weird layout with a lot of structural metal, so wifi signals drop off pretty quickly as you move away from the router. I had been using an edgerouter x with a unifi AP; I had originally intended to have multiple APs spread throughout the house, but the project kinda stalled out after the first one so that's where I've left it. Since the edgerouter died I replaced the whole setup with my old Linksys wifi router - it works, but only barely.

Since I'd ideally like to locate multiple APs across the house, would it be better to switch to a mesh router system with ethernet backhaul (the whole house is wired with Cat5e), or stick with my router + multiple AP scheme? If you guys recommend the router option, should I stick with another edgerouter, switch to a totally Unifi-based ecosystem (like with the unifi gateway), or go with something else entirely?

I work for an ISP that does network design for businesses on the side and UBNT APs are absolutely wonderful, we deploy them all the time, I love 'em. If your ER-X died, then you still have the AP, which is great. Your whole house is wired for CAT5e? Holy poo poo, even better. No reason not to go with a UniFi solution. It would give you roaming capabilities, consistent throughput, and you could add more as needed if you find the signal drops off in weird areas.

As someone said earlier if you go with a wireless "mesh" system then you're using a wireless backhaul, avoid this if you can use copper. Also, the UniFi APs can mesh if you really want to do that. I also just like having an actual router as my edge device.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If you've already got the house wired, go with the Ubiquiti APs.

Also, once they're set up, you don't HAVE to run the controller full time, if you're not using a very specific set of features.

This. You only need the controller for the initial setup (I usually build a management VLAN to all the APs back to a dedicated server, but in a home situation who gives a poo poo). Plus, you can either fire up the server on your home PC everytime you want to make a change or I believe there's an app you can get on your phone that does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU