Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am building a new computer soon, and one of the upgrades I was planning to make was getting off my USB wireless ac adapter - it is a Netgear A6200, and it works well...sometimes. I'm hoping to move to a less temperamental solution than USB adapters, and I was about to pull the trigger on wireless ac PCI-E card, but the reviews on the Intel and Asus cards seem to be almost as problematic. I did come across the wireless bridge option yesterday and wanted to ask if there is any gain in performance/stability going with something like the WD My Net AC bridge over a PCI-E card? I use my desktop for HD video streaming to the TV, moving large batches of files between computers, and a lot multiplayer gaming. What would be the best option when running a cable is not an option? After years of networking frustrations, I don't mind costly or awkward solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

UndyingShadow posted:

DO NOT buy the My Net AC bridge. I had this, it had major stability and connection problems, and every time I had to add or remove a device, it would fail to connect until I completely reset the unit (and I don't mean a power reset, I mean, reset to factory and reconfigure it)

Alongside that, I've tried lots of stuff, and none it has really worked. I have the ASUS PCE-AC68, but it has issues with dropping the connection every minute or so (which throws streaming right out the window.) I tried an 802.11ac ASUS usb wifi adapter, but the speed was awful (lower than my trendnet 802.11n usb adapter.)

Basically, I never got 802.11ac to function worth a drat. My solution was to give up and run a 200' LAN cable over 5 doorways and along baseboards with a staple gun. Now everything works perfectly, and you barely notice the cable unless you're looking for it.

I live in an apartment building, so as much as I would like to run a cable to my desktop, my hands are pretty much tied on that front. My computer is unfortunately also located in a room with no cable outlet, so I can't relocate the modem.

SamDabbers posted:

The powerline solutions seem to work well enough for most people. Grab a pair of the 500Mbps variety adapters. They're often on sale for $60-$75.

How effective are powerline adapters in an apartment building? Would I run into issues when the neighbor uses a hair dryer etc.?