Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I got an edgerouter x, and I'm getting an IPv6 address on the WAN from my modem, but I'm not getting IPv6 on my LAN. Could this be an a lack of support from my ISP or does Ubiquiti have spotty IPv6 support? I'm seeing a lot of stuff online about emerging IPv6 support in newer firmware versions, and also about how to configure IPv6 on certain ISPs.

I did some tinkering with the firewall rules and dhcpv6-pd, but no dice.

Honestly I don't think I really need IPv6 but it'd be nice to have I guess. But probably not worth messing with if support is limited. I think it worked on my old linksys router, but I haven't taken the time to hook it back up to check :shrug:

My ISP is Mediacom residential by the way

Baxate fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Actuarial Fables posted:

I had to reboot my Edgerouter Lite to get an IPv6 address on my LAN interface. Once I get home I'll share my ipv6 config that I've got on it.

e. Oh yeah, VPN is a thing.

Before you start doing more configs, make sure you're on the latest firmware (v1.9). Googling around shows that Mediacom gives a /64 to residential customers, so the config should be the same (maybe besides the interfaces you used for LAN/WAN)

http://pastebin.com/0cdAqF63

You delegate a prefix to the LAN interface on the WAN interface. Once you commit the changes it ~should~ fire off a script to configure the LAN interface, apparently older firmware versions had trouble with that. I included the IPv6 firewall settings as well, but if you're getting an address on your WAN then it's probably ok.

Thanks, I think I'm getting somewhere with this.
A couple problems, however. If I put in a prefix-id of :1 or anything other than :0, I get an error that the prefix-id has to be less than ::
I set eth1 (LAN) to prefix-id :0, but I was setting :1 to eth4 for my Wireless AP. I actually don't know, do the prefix-ids need to be different for different ports? If I use :0 for both will that be fine?

But so far, I just have IPv6 set for eth1, and I'm getting an address on my PC. But Windows is showing my IPv6 DNS server as being blank, and it says No Network Access in the adapter properties

E: yeah so I set my prefix as :0 on both eth1 and eth4, and I'm getting IPv6 addresses on both, but I still can't access the IPv6 internet

Baxate fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 13, 2016

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you're not dual-stackin' IPv4 and IPv6, then we'll need to set up stateless DHCPv6 to give out DNS server addresses to clients. Some other operating systems can pick up addresses from the router-advertisement via RFC 6106, but not windows!

Here's my working config of stateless-dhcpv6 http://pastebin.com/2LpQwwU3

From playing around with ipv6 on the edgerouter, I've noticed that it's really finicky. Sometimes I'm able to use ipv6 on the internet after doing a change, sometimes I'm not. I think it has to do with how it "compiles" the configuration, but it could very well just be me being me.

e. The prefix-id is determining the subnet id. We are given a /64 network so we only have the one (sub)network, :0. e.2. You might not even have to include it, but I'm too afraid to touch IPv6 on this again to try it out.

e.3. I've been up for 38 hours I should not be providing configuration settings.

lol, thanks, but I tried this and I ended up having to hard reset my router because it wouldn't start back up after a reboot :tipshat:

I think I'm gonna have to give up on IPv6 for now

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I got this RJ45 crimper stripper combo tool from Monoprice, and despite having a place for stripping 8p cable, it always cuts one of my twisted pairs on my Cat6 cable.
Comparing it to other tools online, the tool I have the stripper portion is two razors that clamp down on the cable then you pull the jacket off. Other tools look like they have a rounded cutout for the cable and one razor and you spin the tool around the cable. Is that the kind of thing I'm looking for? I'm about to run out to Home Depot and pick something up, so I'm just curious what to look for in a jacket stripper so I don't end up with the same problem.

This is what I bought and maybe I should have just read the reviews because a bunch of them say the stripper is worthless
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7035

Edit: so I had a random bit of Cat5 cable laying around and this tool strips it very well. So clearly that extra bit of insulation in Cat6 means I’ll need another kind of jacket stripper

Baxate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 28, 2020

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Just run a stanley knife around the cable and bend it until the jacket tears. If I was installing data cable all day I would buy the proper strip tools, but I maybe terminate four cables a year on average, so using a knife is fine.

I’ll give that a shot, I got a spool of cable so it’s fine if I waste a little. I’ve just got a little project to run some cable from my router through my basement to my entertainment center. All told it’s probably about 8 cables with the network switch to hook up all my components. Beyond that I may never use these tools again.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

If I may make a suggestion, buy a workgroup switch for your entertainment center and just run 1 or 2 cables to that. Unless that's your plan already.

Right yeah, just one cable through the basement. And then that's going to be connected to a switch on my entertainment center and I'm planning on making my own custom length patch cables to go from the switch to each component. I'm actually planning on connecting another room, so I'm putting a switch in the basement too.

Using a utility knife to strip the cable turned out to be super easy. The tedious part is threading everything through the plastic insert for the terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is trying to get HomeKit Wifi devices connected to my special IOT network going to be a huge pain in the rear end?

I have this Wifi smart plug I'm trying to connect to HomeKit, and I mistakenly connected it to my regular network because I guess it just connects to whatever network my phone is on. I want to quarantine it to my IOT subnet thats firewalled away from everything else, so I reset it and I connected my phone to the IOT network and now it can't connect to my plug. gently caress.

e: basically my firewall rules are that anything on my IOT vlan can't initiate a connection to anything on my regular LAN vlan. Devices on the IOT vlan have access to WAN and they should be able to connect to other devices on the same vlan.

e2: I finally got it working, I'm not sure what did it though. I reconnected it to my normal network and updated the firmware, but it still seemed like a fluke that it connected to my IOT vlan :shrug:

Baxate fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 27, 2021