Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Would a lovely cable modem affect a router's wireless signal? The room next to where my router has been having wireless issues for a while now ( slow, lost connections). I just changed my ISP and upgraded from the lovely rental modem to my own modem and it's been positive so far. Small sample size so who knows.

Is setting up an access point as simple as plugging a long Ethernet cable into my Archer c5 and putting the other end in the access point located in the desired area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Just set up my first access point and it wasn't too hard at all. Speeds are almost as fast as my wired connection.
Thanks for the thread and help!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How do you tell if your modem or router is the problem? The internet has been randomly disconnecting for the entire household (wired and wireless) the past couple of days. I usually have to unplug and plug the power back in to start it up again. Internet was stable before this.

The internet technician came in and tested the coaxial cable with his handheld machine thing. He said the internet is fine and the issue lies with either my router or modem.

I have a sb8200 with an Archer c5 + unifi ap-ac lite. The routers about 4 years old and the modem+ap is about a year and half old.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just pull the power plug directly from the back of the cable modem and plug it back in immediately. I don't bother waiting anymore. Seems to work

I'm at work but I'll update you when I get home. Appreciate the quick responses guys.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

H2SO4 posted:

In that case, you could go the cheap route and pick up a modem from your provider and use that temporarily, If you don't have any more issues then you can probably just get a new modem, if you still have issues then your router may be the problem.

Surprisingly I had no issues last night. But I do have an old cable modem lying around. I'll swap it out and see how it goes. Thanks.