Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Partycat posted:

:words:

Vendor could pull a 6 strand cable, terminate some or all. Glass isn’t the expensive part in all of this.

Ya - I had single mode pulled in my home last year. We did 6 strand and there’s three major rooms that have hard wired devices. The entertainment room just has a Fiber-to-1Gbe converter that gets plugged into a switch. The office itself has a switch that has an SFP+ cage that I threw a 1Gbe module into.

I don’t really see an advantage to running both Cat5/6 and Fiber unless you’re going to heavily prefer using one in all the rooms (e.g. hardwire Ethernet devices in every room).

We only went with single mode because at the time, it was the cheapest for the materials. We hit some weird point in the supply chain shenanigans where the fiber guy could get single mode fiber at like 80% the price of cat6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

ughhhh posted:

My roommate wanted to put his usb printer on the home network through my plex pc so we could all use it (also so he could just leave it connected instead of pulling it out and connecting it to his laptop). What i didn't realize was that all of this is hell. I thought the biggest issue would be drivers, but now with him using a mac laptop, iphone and me on my desktop and android phone the only things that are currently using the printer properly are my desktop PC and the Plex pc where the printer is connected. Its visible on the network for the two PC's but nothing else (even that is a problem since the Plex PC keeps disappearing during resets).

Is there a solution like a printer server app or something to make that usb connected printer available to everyone that connects to my home network? My router (tplink Archer A7) does have the functionality for connecting a USB printer, but im keeping that as the last resort since i dont want to run another wire up the ceiling through some walls.

Bluntly, just buy a new printer that supports Wi-Fi/Ethernet and AirPrint. I’ve done this song and dance and as you say, it’s hell.

I only needed a monochrome laser printer so I got some Brother printer for $120 and called it a day after loving with my setup for 2 days, trying to get the old one working.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Chuu posted:

I'm being overwhelmed by choice. I'm just looking for a two router mesh system, decently fast, without a wired backbone. I've explored all the AI mesh options at Doug's site as well as more commercial solutions.

I think it's down to the ASUS ZenWifi XT8 system or the Netgear Orbi Pro AX6000 2-packs. Both are tri-band with two Wifi6 5GHz channels of which one is used for the backhaul. Both are $350 right now. The ASUS looks more suited towards power users, and I absolutely hate anything to do with subscriptions and apparently the Orbi Pro locks some features that I will not use behind them.

So it seems like a simple choice, just get the ASUS, but the tests I am finding show the Orbi Pro's backhaul is much better.

Any advice? Any other systems I should consider?

I will be ordering something before the weekend.

Costco often sells orbi mesh systems. I’d buy one there if you have one nearby and try it out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

I think this got buried with other discussions. Anyone have any ideas on this?

If your router isn’t doing local device resolution on top of the pihole doing remote resolution, that could cause it. A lot of NAS or appliance devices will use special URL’s that they announce via mDNS or dhcp.

Configuring that depends heavily on the router though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shugojin posted:

jesus christ TIL netgear is selling their 802.11be already as a 3pack for $2300 gently caress me

I’m still over here rocking 802.11ac. I’ll probably only upgrade once my current Orbi poo poo breaks since it’s mostly the mobile devices on WiFi.

The two office desk docks, AppleTV, and Xbox all live on hard wire connections.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Grab a cheap device and slap pfsense on it. I've been using a pfsense router with a unifi AP for 3 years with no issues.

I also actually found pfsense easier to navigate and do things in vs the ER-X I used to have.

This but I’d advocate for OPNsense. That’s purely on the grounds that pfSense’s parent company has done some dodgy poo poo over the last few years (most recent was WireGuard mess). Even if some of it wasn’t their fault, their response didn’t leave me believing they acted in good faith.

Same recommendation though - you can slap it in some hardware. Throw it on a ZimaBoard, VNOPN, or Protectli appliance.

I also like the MikroTik recommendation. Can’t go wrong there.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Weirdly, my experience with CLink has been good. I am generally sour on all ISP’s, but I’ve had CLink fiber for like 7 years now and never had a problem with their customer service. One outage longer than an hour I think?

Anyway, I’m sure they’ll gently caress me hard now that I’ve said that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Silly Newbie posted:

Wait whomst the gently caress is using PPPoE to the home in 2023?

Azhais posted:

CenturyLink certainly is

Ya - I suspect because they built their network out on top of their old DSL system. Also a convenient way to disable a connection - just invalidate the creds and leave the hardware alone.

tuyop posted:

I’ve been told by Bell that this is the only way I can use my own hardware with my fiber connection.

Except I’m pretty sure the credentials they gave me don’t work and nobody has been able to correct them

Assuming you didn’t sign a contract that states you must use their hardware, you could raise a complaint with the FCC? Not sure it’d do much good but sometimes companies get weird about that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Something something use Opnsense.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

kri kri posted:

What dns do y’all use? I’m using cloud flare now but wondering if there’s anything better out there. I’d like some level of adocking if possible.

NextDNS. Used it for years now. Blocks ads, it’s cheap, easy to configure.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ya plaster on wire was my thought too. Like living in a giant faraday cage.

Honestly, I’d run the wire. Although I had a good wireless setup when I first moved in, quality of life is way better over wire. Now only a few things are on WiFi and the most bandwidth intensive stuff is on wires.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Calidus posted:

If just want a router in my basement and 2 or 3 APs in the rest of my house what do I look at besides Unifi? I have a orbi mesh system I want to replace, I have ran a couple cat6 lines into walls so I don’t need wireless backhaul. Ideally I want a 2.5gbps wan port and WiFi 6. There is fair amount of high end consumer meshes that can do that.

I’d probably still run an Orbi mesh. But I’ve been happy with mine.

Orbi can do wired backhaul as long as you aren’t running it through multiple switches.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Calidus posted:

My orbi is fine for most part but its one of older RB20 models. WiFi 6 would be a nice improvement. The more I think about I probably just going get another consumer system. I not buying multiple gig Internet soon I don’t need vlans. I might just go with Costco 4 pack of Nest WiFi Pros. Giving my wife access to control via the Google home app which she already uses might be an intelligent choice.

I don’t actually know, but check that the Nest uses a dedicated wireless backhaul. For all but the cheapest Orbi’s, they use a dedicated wireless backhaul which keeps perf more consistent under load.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Any of y'all have Apple devices that have wifi issues when Android/Windows devices are chilling out in their lane, unbothered? Kinda pulling my hair out. All I can find is some stuff about the Airplay poo poo that should be a) fixed on the Mac OS versions and b) these are intel not M1/M2 so shouldn't have been suffering it badly anyway

We’ve got a mix of windows and apple at home. Nothing for us.

What is the wireless system?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I’ve got gig (fiber). I’m not sure I care much about above that for now.

My EdgeRouter 4 setup lets basically anything wired saturate the connection. I’ve been curious about the UDM in the past but enough people have complained it can’t hit gig WAN-to-LAN that I’ve just stuck with my current setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

LordOfThePants posted:

I am running a PiHole but if I set my DNS servers to public servers and then flush DNS, the problem persists.

Flush dns where? Depending on settings, DNS may be cached at every client as well as the router (USG) in this case.

It *smells* like DNS to me but I’m not sure.