Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

So I'm building a NAS and I'm wondering I'll just draw a picture.

If I have the new NAS setup to have a static IP, will other users on the network be able to access it via modem -> my PC -> NAS? If not, are there any steps I can take to make this possible?

I know it's quite convoluted but it's a temporary setup ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thanks people!

At the moment, the router's sitting on the kitchen bench and there's no room for the NAS around, not to mention that I don't really want liquid/foodstuffs near the hardware. Waiting for upstairs to get rewired so I can move the NAS/modem.

I'll try this stuff out whilst setting up rather than now. :)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Uuudar posted:

I have a Cisco e3200 that is giving me some issues. I'm trying to stream relatively low bitrate 720p content to XBMC on my jailbroken aTV2 and it pauses to "buffer" at random intervals and way too much. It should be running at N bandwidth and thus not be an issue. Wiring the connection fixes this problem (even using a 100 Mbps older router) but I'm trying to not have to run a 100 ft cable across my house. Is there any solution to this issue or am I stuck with a wired connection to stop the lag?

Wired is best, as you already know. Since it's your house, why not get the house wired with gigabit ethernet?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I posted some time ago about having a NAS directly connected to my PC via gigabit ethernet while my PC uses wireless.

I've turned on Internet Connection Sharing in Windows 7 but it doesn't seem to be working. In Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network Connections, the LAN says 'Unidentified Network'

How can I get this setup working?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Moving the NAS downstairs so I can plug it into the router. Will fiddle around with settings there. :)

EDIT: Nope. Still displays 'Unidentified Network', even though I could access FreeNAS' web interface just fine from router. Have set a static IP.

Odette fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 22, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Going to buy a gigabit switch tomorrow, easier that way. Thanks anyway!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How do I install DD-WRT/Tomato on a WNR3500L?

There's a billion guides out there and I really don't want to brick my router.

EDIT: Installed.

I have a problem with my network at the moment.

I have a main PC connected via ethernet to a WRN3500L (at 10.0.0.1), which has my NAS server.

That router does not have access to the internet. If I want to get on the internet, I have to disable the ethernet in Windows 7 and enable the wireless adapter which connects to a different router downstairs.

How can I have access to both of these at the same time?

EDIT2: Or should I just try client bridging through the WRN3500L?

Odette fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 23, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Really quick question: Is there a thread like this that I could post in regarding assistance with some domain name/multiple servers fuckery?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Do you mean your own domain name or DNS from your ISP or whoever? There's a hosting/webhosting megathread that may be useful for your own domain stuff:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289126

Got access to a couple of servers, want to do stuff with them under one domain. I'll post in that thread you specified. Thanks!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

So what kind of router would give full gigabit throughput with pfsense? I assume something like a QOTOM fanless PC with an i7-4500U & 4 I211-AT should be OK?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you mean just simple NAT routing, or do you mean deep packet inspection and IPSEC and other CPU-heavy things? Any modern core-based x86 CPU can handle full gigabit routing in most situations. pfsense routers are massively overpowered for home usage.

Pretty much always-on VPN, filtering (using squid), adblocking, and a couple of other things.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How are these network graphs being drawn? I've only got Linux, if that helps.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

For these with rack cabinets, how do y'all filter dust & cool the servers?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Devian666 posted:

Depends on how many racks and the heat output. Generally the stuff I deal with involves process coolers and replaceable filters in the HVAC design.

So how much heat and where is the rack located.

42U rack in a garage. It came with a couple of fans mounted to the top, with a thermostat controller.

2 R710s, a R210II, Catalyst 2960S, KVM, and maybe a couple more 1U units.

edit: I know 42U is overkill, but the smaller racks are overpriced or my bids get sniped.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Alpha Mayo posted:

also sorry for pissing off HAM operators by making all the wiring in my apartment a high frequency antenna

Easily solved by enclosing your house in metal, a.k.a. Faraday Cage. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is there a solution for valid HTTPS certs/etc whilst using split brain DNS? I've got a bit of infrastructure I'd like to host at home & be accessible both internally and externally.