Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to hook up a Western Digital external drive to my TP-Link Archer to share files between computers on my home network. But when I plug it in, the router only seems tor recognize ~200mb on the drive, even though it has a 2tb capacity. Anyone know what's up with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a new modem so I don't have to pay optimum 10 bucks a month for the privilege of using one. I currently pay for 300 mb/s down, but I want to get something with room for upgrades. Any suggestions on make and model? I'd be using it with a separate wireless router, fwiw.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Optimum doesn't seem to have a supported modem list on their website, but here is a list from some rando website:

https://crystalbreak.com/best-modems-for-optimum/

If you have 300mb/s down, the Wirecutter likes the old CM600 (which isnt on the list) but the Netgear CM700 is, and it is good for up to 500 mb/s down. Obviously, call and double check before you get anything.

Also, if you plan on upgrading your speed, I'd look for a modem that is good for gigabit or so, the SB8200 on that list seems like it is good for up to 2, but its on 2 gigabit ethernet ports so I don't know how that would play out if you got faster than gigabit internet.

lol i’m lucky if i get 200mb down

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I need a long rear end ethernet cord to hardwire a gaming rig into the router in another room. Any suggestions?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What’s a good linux program for viewing/analyzing web traffic from CLI?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
thanks!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I've got a Tp-link Archer A8 and I recently purchased a TP-link AC1200 extender to use with OneMesh. But after setting it up, the "enable onemesh" button is grayed out in the AC1200 settings, saying that the router isn't compatible, when it's listed as such and is updated to the latest firmware (as is the extendo). Anything I could try?

e: turns out I had to update the router firmware sequentially a few times. Surprisingly hitting "upgrade firmware" doesn't upgrade to the most recent stable version, only the next iteration.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 8, 2022

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any luck on getting verizon to install fios in your building? It’s been available on the block for years, but they haven’t hooked up my apartment building despite semi annual online request forms. Optimum sucks such incredible poo poo

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i’m in an apartment building, but I seem to have one of the only moderately decent landlords in the world (they promptly replaced my toilet free of charge because I complained about it failing to adequately flush my poo poo despite 3+ flushes), so I’ll try asking them. Is there a web page I can direct them to? I’d like to make this as easy as possible for them to apply/comply

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What’s a cheap reliable way to expand the wifi coverage of an oddly shaped (long) apartment? Gf currently has a router from her ISP. Is a TP-Link Archer and some Onemesh compatible extender a decent option for $100? Anything else worth considering?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Looks like I can pick up a TP link Ax1800 and a compatible Onemesh extended for $80 all told. My gf has an annoyingly long apartment, so her room is like 80 feet away from her current wireless access point. Would this set-up be better or worse than a 2-pack Deco S4 setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Head Bee Guy posted:

Looks like I can pick up a TP link Ax1800 and a compatible Onemesh extended for $80 all told. My gf has an annoyingly long apartment, so her room is like 80 feet away from her current wireless access point. Would this set-up be better or worse than a 2-pack Deco S4 setup?

bumping this one last time before i bite the bullet and inevitably make the wrong move