Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
So I'm moving into a new rented house in a few days, and I'm not allowed to drill or anything, but I do want to install ethernet around the house (2 floors). I haven't really done this before and was planning to use some Cat5 and some Command Strip wire holders to try to route them. Is there any better method, or better wires I should be using?

I also probably have to have a small switch at one point, is there any recommended small ones that may be PoE, and a good PoE injector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

Jan posted:

Caveat to this: if this house is a townhouse or anywhere that might share an electrical grid with other houses, powerline adapters can leech into neighbouring units if they also use them. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting random bad DHCP assignments and unknown devices on my parents' network, until I realised their home theatre installators had set up a powerline network and it would occasionally crosstalk with a neighbour's seemingly two houses over. Powerline is a really flawed solution even if it can work in a pinch.

I don't believe it's sharing any electrical connections with other houses here, at least not after the electricity meter!

Found an old TP-link 500mbps powerline to try it out and it seems to work well, so might invest in a few faster powerlines. I think installing ethernet is a distant dream for this house with the way it is set up.

I'm about to receive a virgin router and this house seems to have two Virgin Media cable connections, though not sure if they are entirely separate or split at some point. I wonder if it's possible to run two VM modems connected to them at the same time?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

I'm attempting to do a moca 2.5 network in the house I'm renting, but just noticed the main coax socket I was going to use, is an isolated coax socket (it has plastic around the center pin?). Looking it up it apparently only allows signal one way.

I'm pretty sure I will need to replace this socket to a non isolated one, but I just wanted to double check for sure if anyone knew if Moca will work/not work with it?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

I'm not able to take a picture at the moment, but the wall socket looks like this: https://www.sehome.co.uk/products/stainless-steel-satellite-and-isolated-coaxial-1-gang-socket-white

The other coax sockets I've seen just look like normal ones without the satellite connector or plastic bit in the coax.

I am planning on using the coax to get Lan network access from one floor of my house to the other. I believe there's an aerial attached somewhere for TV, but I have no intention of using it, and will be trying to disconnect it. I don't believe anything else is running via coax, I get internet access into the house via fibre.

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 20, 2024

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

RoboBoogie posted:

the connector looks like the one on the right? you might need a connector, last time i saw a connector like this was 30 years ago in australia for arial antennas so im not sure if the wiring is right for moca.

if you have the connector on the left there may be some hope!

I have pretty much that exact wall plate, so it does have both. I was intending to use the one on the right as I thought that was the one to use for MoCA? apart from this one room all the other rooms have wall plates with just the right socket (without the isolation apparently).

I was under the impression the left socket was for satellite connections only (which in retrospect is weird as I don't have a satellite), and wasn't sure if it was connected to all the rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

RoboBoogie posted:

you may want to use the one on the left, but the issue where does that wire lead to? in my house that leads to the basement because that line may be used for cable tv. but in yours it might lead to the aticc where the dish may be present

In the end after some testing the one on the right seems to work fine, even though it's isolated. My MoCA network seems to work fine without changing the (unknown) splitter, so that's good. I might be broadcasting my network though, so I should probably hunt down the aerial/splitter anyway.

I see a ladder purchase in my future.