Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sano
Jul 14, 2011
I've been using my WRT54G for around 6 years now. I've been playing online video games for the PS2/PS3/360 in my basement (2 floors down separated from the router) and used to be a really good host when hosting game rooms. I've also been using it to browse with my laptop and it's worked well with it anywhere within the basement.

But recently I had to renovate my entire basement to fit a Gaming Rig I had built about a week ago. Because of the renovation I had made, my Xbox 360 is now a few steps further away from the router, and it was just enough to cause little to no connection between it and the router. The PC computer was not having much luck connecting to it either.

I asked a friend for a solution and he had suggested a repeater, so I got one of these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124430
Setting it up was easy and I've connected to the router just fine with both the Xbox and Computer thanks to it.

But recently I've noticed the large amounts of lag in my video games like Halo reach, and I've become the worst host in any game. The connection tends to even drop at least once a night for both my computer and my Xbox.

For this week, Onlive (A cloud based gaming service) is giving everyone in the US any game in their catalog for just 1 dollar. So I launched their application and it has confirmed to me that my connection just downright sucks.

Is there any kind of solution anyone here can recommend? Was this repeater a waste of money?

Sano fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sano
Jul 14, 2011
Should work now.
Weird, it worked when I had posted it.

I'll post a different link in case it happens again. here

Sano
Jul 14, 2011

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I really did waste quite a bit of money on a repeater.

I won't bother doing the clinton mode thing since my problems within 3 different devices.

Any routers you guys recommend?

possibly something with 2 or 3 times the range of the WRT54G

I don't quite understand specs on routers, so I'm not exactly sure which one of the routers from the opening post I should get.

Sano
Jul 14, 2011
do bigger antenna attachments actually work? Seems cheaper then buying a whole new router.

how do I know which antenna to get?