Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How crappy is 2mbps download speed going to be if I downgrade from 15mbps download speed?

Time Warner has a new 2mbps plan for $14.99/month, and I'm currently paying $61.00/month for 15mbps. I use the connection for regular web browsing, YouTube videos, Quake Live and streaming live events from FirstRowSports. Would 2mbps be sufficient for all that?

The cable connection currently goes into a n-router which feeds wifi to both my HTPC laptop and my iPhone.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll try that, thanks!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dicked around with NetLimiter and set my connection to 2mbps down/1mbps up. Holy poo poo this is not bad at all. Most youtube videos peak at 360p, but whatever. I'll gladly save $40/month for the quality sacrifice - thanks guys!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought a used cable modem off Amazon to replace the one I'm leasing from Time Warner.

I activated it through Time Warner and the modem works fine when plugged directly into my computer, but when I plug the Ethernet cord into my Netgear N300 Wireless Router, the Wireless Router won't detect it.

Any ideas? I tried resetting the Wireless Router and that didn't do anything.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does the cable modem have a USB connection (and if so, do you still have that hooked up to your PC while you're plugging it into the router)?

No USB connection

quote:

Are you powering off the cable modem between when you unplug your computer and when you plug in your router?

No, but I'll try that

EDIT: YOU ARE THE MAN, THANK YOU!

Now to take the leased modem back to Time Warner and save $6/month on my bill :dance:

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A relative cut the cord recently but is keeping Charter Spectrum's internet ($70/month for 100Mbps is apparently the cheapest option they have without bundling)

Is switching to FIOS worth it? They're offering 100Mbps for $39.99/month and you can buy the modem outright for $149 to avoid a $10/month rental fee

Just wondering if there's outage problems with FIOS since I've never used it