Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I have a pair of questions I'm hoping this thread might help me answer. The situation as it stands is that I want to play some Battlefield on my PC, but apparently if my roommates ever try to stream anything to whatever device, it absolutely destroys my network performance - pings go all to hell, and the game complains about lots of outgoing packet loss. I'm on a wireless connection right now which I don't care for, but it's not my house so running CAT-5 isn't really an option. Bizarrely enough each room in the house has an ethernet jack in it, but the wires in the basement are all unlabelled and unterminated, so I have no idea how to figure out which bundle I'd need to connect.

Right now our entire network is running off of a combo modem/wireless router (a VSG1432), which I gather is hardly ideal. I actually have another (maybe kinda crappy?) LinkSys wireless router lying around; I had the bright idea that I might be able to hook that into the modem, and then operate my own personal wireless network on a different frequency, which would hopefully work out better for me. However, if I plug the LinkSys router into my VSG1432's WAN port, there's some part of the configuration that doesn't seem to take. It never get's assigned an IP address (should it get one?), and nothing else connected through that LinkSys router can reach the internet either. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Then, if the above doesn't work out for some reason, what's the opinion on Powerline networking? A friend of mine who works in large scale corporate IT actually says it works pretty well, I'm basically just looking for a second opinion. Also, I understand they have to be plugged directly into the wall outlets so there's nothing to interfere with the signal; anyone know if the models with pass-through power plugs work alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

evol262 posted:

You can crimp the cat5 easily.

Probably true, but I have no idea what room the bundles all correspond to, I don't have the tools or the parts, the last time I did that was in ninth grade, and I'm pretty lazy. :v:

quote:

What you'd really need is to put that combo device in passthrough mode. But you shouldn't be having this problem in the first place unless Battlefield sends a ridiculous amount of outgoing data or something is badly misconfigured. It's probably not WiFi. Running your own private network would do nothing to fix it. Good odds it's somebody running uncapped upload Bittorrent unless you have 768k DSL from 2001.

Download takes (broadly) 1/8th the same bandwidth as ACKs in upload. Get your corporate IT friend to come look at a packet stream. Something else is wrong.

Open two console windows.
In one, ping the router.
In another, ping an outside address (4.2.2.2 is generally fine).
Watch. If it's a WiFi problem, you'll get packet loss on both. If not, you'll only see packet loss on the external address. Then log into the router and look at traffic graphs. Find out how much outgoing bandwidth is used and which IP address is the culprit. Then find out what has that IP address and what it's doing.

Put the modem in passthrough. Plug the Linksys in.

Fair enough, thanks. I think the packet loss might indeed be just Battlefield's in game network test thing being out to lunch; I guess it's a thing lots of people are seeing. So probably better to pretend I never said that.

And indeed, it seems like a lot of my problems aren't actually local. I've got the two ping streams going1 and while the ping between me and my router is jittery in a way that is worrying - usually <5ms, but sometimes ~200ms - my ping to 4.2.2.2 is just loving nuts, as seen in my new favorite image name, pings.png2:

This is while my roommate is running Netflix, and for I know probably blasting torrents all over the place; I only just showed him how to do that, so I don't imagine he's looked at upload rates. So, any advice short of harassing my roommate all the damned time?

1Is there a more in depth way to be doing this than ping <IP> -t?
2The only thing better would be PGNCS.png.

e: I should probably add, my connection shouldn't be terrible either. I'm in a pretty normal suburb of a city of >1M people; I think we're on like the lovely default package, but that really shouldn't be so bad. Also Canadian, so probably worse than the equivalent American package, but probably not much worse.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 16, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well it seems my awful ISP has decided to replace the default router interface with their own GUI, which helpfully doesn't include any of the QoS options present in the manual for the actual device. Wondrous.

I can just talk to my roommate, but it would have been nice to learn something. Also, it it possible this could just be caused by something else in the house downloading? I have a hunch that the only thing I need to do to start seeing my pings jump around is to fire up Netflix on any device, and I can't see a reason why that would be uploading much of anything.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 16, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

evol262 posted:

Due to the nature of TCP, it's unlikely in the extreme that any download at all will result in packet loss, streaming included. It's almost certainly uncapped torrents.

Rexxed posted:

Instead of harassing him all of the time, just get him to set an upload rate that's reasonable on anything that might be going unrestricted and capping out your bandwidth.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help here guys, I just saw things performing terribly, and sure enough his client was trying to upload at 80kbps which is basically our connections entire upload bandwidth. The minute I got him to cap it at 40 things seem to be back to normal.