Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
do you guys reckon the edge router x will suffice to fulfil the routing needs of 4 apartments, so 4 separate wired access points, on a 200 mbps fibre connection? it says the routing performance is 650 mbps tops in the OP but am not familiar with the term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

astral posted:

Is this one connection being shared among 4 apartments? If so, what's your strategy when one of the 4 apartments does something illegal on the connection?

that's for my non technical friend AKA the landlord to solve, im just upgrading his very old setup to take advantage of what he pays for

[quote="“Matt Zerella”" post="“476868977”"]
I wouldn’t.

I’d probably go with pfsense on a decent machine with some good intel NICs.
[/quote]

i'll take a look at what kind of small boxes i could source to put pfsense on, thanks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
[quote="“unbutthurtable”" post="“476988727”"]
Hey goons — the goon-run VPN service that was in SA-Mart for years has finally shut down (RIP). They were pretty great and I never had any issues at all, but now I’m stuck without.

Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement VPN?
[/quote]

proton vpn was pretty okay last i heard

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Thermopyle posted:

Could someone explain like I'm...not a network guy...what a person should do who wants to live in The Future with a bunch of internet of poo poo devices but who also recognizes they are a security nightmare?

I'm looking for more detail then "segregate them from your network, dummy".

I think something good enough to go in the OP would be a smart idea.

probably good advice would be to stick to homekit certified devices but even then

and this requires you to be invested in apple

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
p sure Apple has stopped selling the airport line in the UK. time to update the OP perhaps