Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just gonna chime and say the Linksys E2000 has not been very good to me. Seems to crash about once a week or so and require a reboot before it will allow any local network access, either over wired or wireless. This has been getting progressively worse over the past year or so, used to happen about every three months and now it's up to weekly, so I'm guessing it will just die soon.

It doesn't seem like they maybe don't sell this router anymore? so maybe the OP is just way out of date, but if you are considering it I'd probably look at other options instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Airport extreme is the first consumer grade network device I've owned that hasn't crashed, required reboots, or randomly dropped packets when it's in a bad mood since my first fancy 100Mbit hub in like 1997.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

No the hub was a piece of poo poo and would require power cycling all the time when it would forget how to be a dumb hub. How on earth you can screw that up when you could probably make a four port hub with like a dozen logic gates is beyond me. That was back when you couldn't even get a consumer grade switch, much less a router, for any price. Why would anyone need multiple computers to be on AOL at once anyway? Just get two phone lines!

All the hubs, switches, and routers whether wired or wifi have been unreliable up until the current Airport is what I'm saying. And I've generally spent too much money on the higher end gear as well :mad:

But yeah for six months or so the Airport hasn't required any attention, pretty happy so far. The dual band stuff is nice when you're in a dense area and 2.4ghz is crowded as hell but you still have things like kindles that can't handle 5ghz.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 14, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Well poo poo, a couple of weeks after singing the praises of or the Airport Extreme on here I just had my first crash. Wouldn't connect over wired or wireless, had to pull the plug. Works again but it's no longer been a flawless router for me.

Guess my multi-decade hunt for the reliable router continues. Very disappointing, but oh well.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 22, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

If you have or expect to buy 10gig routers and NICs in the next couple of years get Cat 7, but 99% of people won't do this and are fine on Cat 6.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I can't think of anything I'd rather do less in 2015 than to download a loving Java app to configure a networking device.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The OP only recommends routers and APs separately? Hahah gently caress that poo poo, what are the recommendations for a single router/wifi AP nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Has anyone who lives in an area with shittons of lightning strikes tried out any of the power line options out there? I hear power line stuff is pretty great these days and I'm really struggling with interference on both the bands, worth looking into?

*edit read the op dumbass, testing the waters with the av1200

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 20, 2016