Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey thread whats a good wifi adapter for a desktop?

I've moved into a condo and I'm on powerline at the moment which is giving me around 60 Mbps, but wifi on my phone/tablet is getting 80-110Mbps from my 200Mbps internet plan.

Can't do a wired connection to the modem/router as it's in a different room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I don't think my parents will let me do that unfortunately.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Boner Wad posted:

Couldn't you run cable in the cold air returns if it's plenum rated ethernet? I guess it depends how easy it would be to run it that way.

Those vents are on the ceiling. There's no way my parents are going to accept cables running up and down the walls.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You already have powerline which is usually what I suggest, is it possible you could benefit by upgrading to newer spec adapters?

I am running the newer AV2000 spec and get a solid 150 megabits throughput (thats the download cap here, I haven't tried testing it pc to pc). If you get it from a store that accepts returns like Best Buy / Amazon I imagine it's a simple test.

I haven't thought of that. The wiring in this condominium is Cat 5 so getting up from 60 to 100 megabits would be nice. Something to try. Thanks.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hey thread.

I'd just like to thank Devian666 for the OP. The TP-LINK Archer C5 I got off Amazon for $48 was quick and easy to setup and has been working very smoothly.