Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my 12 year old linksys router is finally dying on me. I'm living in a small house and was going to pick up the TP-Link Archer C7 as posted in the OP. That still a good decision at the end of 2018 even after all the discussion and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm moving and my current router has been giving me a lot of issues so I figured it would be best to get a new one, the ones in the OP haven't been updated since 2018, what's the current recommendation set?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inept posted:

Budget, house size? Do you care about wifi 6?

Reasonable budget maybe? House is 3 stories but we are probably only going to use two floors, and when the third person moves in with us they can get their own internet connection to the third floor so I don't know how important that all is.

Also I'm about half/half caring about wifi6 so I can take it or leave it depending.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the list in the OP still up to date?

I want to take my piece of poo poo router and throw it into the garbage but I want to make sure that if I actually spend money on a loving router that it'll last more than 2 years before I need to dump it for whatever loving bullshit reason.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skipdogg posted:

No, it's hasn't been updated in over 3 years, it's very out of date.

What's the problem with your current router, and what do you need the next one to do?

my current router is killing my upload and it seems to be a very common problem with asus routers because if i plug right into my modem I get 40 up like I should be given. But if I'm plugged into the router it drops all the way down to between 1 and 4.

I've installed four different versions of firmware. I've flashed it. I've restored to factory settings. I've installed Merlin to see if that would help, and I'm so frustrated with it that my network admin friend recommended the orbit to me and I went ahead and got them already because with my WFM job I need more juice than whatever the heck is going on with the router.

my boss is checking to see if i can't expense this because of how important a stable internet connection is so here's hoping