Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How bad is the latency and bandwidth hit from powerline networking? I'm going to guess the answer is "depends on your wiring" so the follow-up question is, what tools can I use to measure it?

The context is that I'm getting a TV soon and intend to use either Nvidia gamestream or steam in-home streaming to play games on it. My apartment layout is kind of obnoxious so Ethernet might not be possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bobfather posted:

Well, one of the pfSense devs recently posted this:

Which was then followed by almost everyone saying "go gently caress yourself" and threatening to jump to opnsense

So perhaps you’d instead care to learn opnsense?

Can I get some context? What he's saying doesn't seem terribly unreasonable just from that post...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So I'm living with my parents for the duration of covid-19 and their WiFi seems to suck rear end. My phone routinely does better at browsing webpages just running off LTE instead of their network. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the ISP or the router because a computer that is connected by ethernet seems to work fine. It's a two story house, ~2000 sq ft.

They use Frontier's FiOS service. At least I think it's FiOS and not just standard DSL because we still have the ONT that Verizon installed a decade ago. From what I can tell this means I can't just replace the router entirely, I'd have to configure the frontier router to DMZ to a new router.

So is the right solution here to get a unifi access point?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

derk posted:

yes you can, unless they have TV from fios too. if they have just internet with verizon fios, they would have the ethernet from the ONT enabled and you can just run that into a router of your choice. I have a Ubiquiti ER-X running on my FiOS. I own a G1100 from frontier that works with FiOS as well, i began with that and then went ahead and got a ER-X and a Unifi AC Lite. Never looked back.

In that case perhaps I will replace the router entirely. Good to know.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So if the devices that need 10 gig are in the same room and within 7 meters of each other I recommend you get:

https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L

It comes with router OS, you can make it run switch mode pretty easily.

Then you want these:

https://www.amazon.com/10G-SFP-DAC-Cable-SFP-H10GB-CU2M/dp/B00U8BL09Q

Sizes go from 0.5m to 7m. I believe these will NOT run hot like cat 6 sfp+ transceivers will for electrical magic reasons I don't understand.

If you have a setup where your NAS and PC are in one room like a home office or den or whatever, this will work great.

If you absolutely must go between rooms or across the house, you need to run fiber and use fiber sfp+ transceivers. That's not inherently hard or anything, just needs a little research. Look up "multimode" fiber cables and transceivers. Don't get single mode, that shits expensive and is meant for like 10km runs between buildings.

E: oh and of course you need SFP+ cards for each PC that will connect to this. Can find them pretty cheap used on ebay

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

stevewm posted:

You ain't kidding...

I work for a chain of lumber yards.. Our last 7/16 OSB shipment was over $45 per sheet cost. Some competitor yards in the area are already over $55 per sheet retail.

Why, is there a tree shortage?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

LordOfThePants posted:

Not possible, unfortunately. They are almost entirely located on property that isn’t owned by me.

Talk to the property owner and offer to trim the trees yourself / pay to have them trimmed?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Imo if you are going to pay you should run more cables. There's a lot of overhead and the marginal price per cable should be low.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

otter posted:

He does some networking videos on YouTube and it was his statement to "gently caress the like and subscribe" that made my ears perk up.

Leave a comment asking if he has stairs in his house

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

PageMaster posted:

Got tired of random dead spots in my house with my orbi router/satellite despite being in the next room to either and finally swapped them out for a single router; so far works a million times better, but it has 4 antenna on it. Does orientation really make any difference or can I just point them all up and call it a day?

just point them all up

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tell your boss and either have IT supply it, or buy it yourself and expense it. There's surely a procedure for this

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a truenas machine I haven't used in months. I turned it on today, and from my windows pc I'm able to do `ssh user@truenas`, and it resolves to `truenas.local` and logs in. But if I do `nslookup truenas` or `nslookup truenas.local` I get this:

code:
$ nslookup truenas.local
Server:  gateway.home
Address:  192.168.254.254

*** gateway.home can't find truenas.local: Non-existent domain
What the gently caress? What's resolving the name for ssh?

E: oh and the web UI is accessible at truenas/ also.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Evis posted:

Is it resolving with mDNS instead? nslookup uses DNS but multicast DNS lets you look up something on the local network even in the absence of a DNS server on the local network.

That's what it was, yeah. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any reason not to make my home network 10.0.0.0/8?