Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Hey thread -- I live in a small apartment and currently have cable internet with a cable modem I own, plus a TP-LINK Archer C9 (AC1900) router. I'm planning to switch to FiOS soon, and I'm not totally sure about what the deal is with their "router." Is it actually a combo modem/router, in which case I need it to have modem functionality, or is it just a router and I'd be a dummy to get theirs when I already have one?

Secondly, and not totally thread relevant, but I might as well ask -- I haven't had cable TV for years. Is a DVR worth it if FiOS has on demand anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

THF13 posted:

FIOS doesn't have modems so if you're getting only internet it's possible to use your own router but a little complicated (Making sure you are provisioned for ethernet vs coax, activating the service requires an official fios router).

Things get more complicated if you are using their phone/tv service, I would probably just use the official one in that case. I did internet only so I'm not too familiar with that.

Alright, well, I can just use theirs as a bridge to mine, right? Or is theirs good enough that I should just consider using that as the primary?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Hey goons -- the goon-run VPN service that was in SA-Mart for years has finally shut down (RIP). They were pretty great and I never had any issues at all, but now I'm stuck without.

Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement VPN?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

SamDabbers posted:

What are your goals with VPN? Anonymity? Geo-block circumvention? DMCA avoidance?

This article might help you choose:
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/

Thanks for this -- ended up going with Private Internet Access. I thought I would have wanted to keep using OpenVPN as the client, since I did with HostVPN and liked it, but honestly...the PIA application seems pretty solid so far.

I looked through this, but I think it's a little more setup than I was interested in doing. Thanks though!