Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

H110Hawk posted:

An ad blocker, chrome on auto-update, and windows defender is 99% of the defense you need these days on a windows device. The same but whatever Mac's use for antivirus is the same.

90% of my experience is in Linux and Mac and I’ve never ever seen anyone use an antivirus, I don’t even know what that would be since I’ve never needed to google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I'm currently using a Arris SB8200 modem and a Arris surfboard AC3200P router.

I loving hate it, while the wired networks generally works as intended and can sometimes run up to at at least 1/2 gig speeds (I pay for 1 gig, but you know, that's probably the cable company loving me, not the modem or router), the wireless is super buggy and when I tried to make a Pihole I found the router was so locked down that I couldn't do goddamn anything with it, you can't even set a custom DNS with it.

Should I ahead and buy the Archer in the op, or is there some hack I can use to get around the firmware and have more customizable settings? I'm okay with taking some risks here.

E: Basically, some way to make it capable of being less locked down or alternatively suggest a router that is reliable and will at least allow me to use custom DNS and maybe other stuff like VPN capable routers. Ideally one capable/already based on an open source firmware/software.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 18, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cyks posted:

The OP was last updated 2 and a half years ago and there's definitely better options by now but I just want to note that only getting 500 down on a speed test when you pay for 1gig on a wired connection is not normal and you should probably work to resolve that first. Do a speed test with your PC connected directly to the modem bypassing the router and see what you get.

I ran it on a pi connected to the network, I have cox so I figured it is what it is at this point. I already called and complained to no avail.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cyks posted:

The OP was last updated 2 and a half years ago and there's definitely better options by now but I just want to note that only getting 500 down on a speed test when you pay for 1gig on a wired connection is not normal and you should probably work to resolve that first. Do a speed test with your PC connected directly to the modem bypassing the router and see what you get.

Ah. Is there a consensus “power user” router?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

astral posted:

Depending on the model, your pi is likely limited on bandwidth because of the way the buses are set up, so you probably don't need to worry about your wired speeds - they should approach 1Gbit with an actually-capable client device.

As for the router, yeah I'd recommend replacing it. Thread favorites might be a combination of ER-4 + a Unifi access point; they've got some Wifi6-capable APs these days. What kind of area are you planning to cover with wifi?

I live in a tiny box that’s almost a studio so I’m good on that front.

Anything slightly cheaper?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So the thread is right, the limit was my pi, not my router. Runs at 850 down and 50 up on a high end computer.

That being said I still hate the router because of the wireless unreliability and the LAN DNS being locked. Any under 100 recommendations?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SwissArmyDruid posted:

May I ask what model rPi you were using?

Newest, pi4b running raspbian connected via Ethernet.

el_caballo posted:

Thanks, buds. I've only had the ER-X for about a year, no real problems with it beyond my ignorance of raw config file editing. I'll give it a shot.

Is ER-X the consensus router then? I’m still unclear on what the consensus router for most users is.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

thiazi posted:

ER-X is great for a home if you are a bit techy and have the other infrastructure in place, but it is just a router (and depending on model, a 3 or 4 port switch). Most consumers' idea of a "router" includes a switch and wireless AP, so if you are expecting a single do-everything box then the ER-X is not the right thing for you, and you should look at consumer offerings from tplink, Asus, Netgear, etc. I haven't used those products in recent years so don't know what to recommend.

Nope, that’s perfect. I like all my components separated out. I already own a modem and switch so I would need a wap.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So I guess ER-X is the ticket- I want to run a pi web server as well I assume it can do that safely.

So I guess my last question is what is the recommended WAP for the ER-x? I live in a very densely populated area and a very small apartment so I don’t need a ton of range but interference may be a concern.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Unless your have like a 2k+ computer I think any surge protector you would find in a store would rated for more enough joules where the likelihood of it cooking your computer is basically nil. I mean you can find ones with tons of sockets rated for 3k joules for 30 bucks if that which my understanding is overkill.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Can the edge router support making a vlan where I can put a web server.

Ideally 3 vlans, one for iot trash, one for servers and one for home computers.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Djimi posted:

Do you mean "an edge router" - the generic term of an edge router, or the Edge Router series from Ubiquiti - the answer is yes to both. I have over 60 Edge Router-X's handling 4 VLANs (different VLAN) for each port, and then the eth0 uplink has them tagged back to the core. This is a hotel deployment.

I thought edge router was a product name. Guess that shows what I know. Can one box run multiple vlans?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Okay this sounds exactly like what I need then. God I wish I had found this thread a few months ago I made a terrible choice with an arris surfboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I tried following the edge routers manual but it skips important steps (like disabling manual ip on your machine when you change ports) and spent an hour spinning my wheels until I found this dude

https://youtu.be/aECPxlT6Qq4

Worked first time