Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
My wifi is ancient and in need of upgrade (WAP54G) and I was thinking of replacing it with two instead of one. Is it possible to setup home wifi to be able to seamlessly walk between them, or do you need enterprise gear for that?

It's not a killer, most of the time I'm flopped in one place or another, but my phone has a tendency to over-aggressively seek out the strongest wifi signal and I'd hate to be constantly disconnecting when I'm trying to use it somewhere in the middle of them.

Edit: I'll have all routing/NAT/DHCP/etc turned off on the wifi, I've got a dedicated router for that.

Also are all gig-e switches still the same nowadays? I had a USRobtics burn out so a few rooms are limping along at 100meg until I replace it.

Harik fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think that seamless transition within wifi networks is something that only something like the Ubiquiti Zero-Handoff APs can manage.

Asus routers also have a special setting in their Wi-Fi config page called "Roaming Setting", which basically disconnects clients if their signal-to-noise goes under a certain threshold. That way you avoid phones connecting to a router that is farther away but have a stronger signal.

I've only just discovered this so I can't speak for it's effectivity, however.

Surprised that tech hasn't become more popular with the SoHo vendors, lots of small businesses are physically large enough for more than one AP but small enough they don't want a full enterprise solution.

phosdex posted:

to get really nitpicky, consumer unmanaged switches are mostly the same. If you want to push lots of data across them you have to dig really hard to find throughput numbers. Low end switches may have gigabit compatible ports, but the throughput may not be.

That's what I figured, was hoping this thread had done some comparisons in that space, but not many people run off remote drives (as opposed to 'store some files on a NAS box') and "gig-e, really, we promise!" is good enough for getting broadband to your desktop.

I'll poke around some reviews then. As far as NICs go, Intel, right? On the server, at least. The various consumers of the NAS can stick with their realtek.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 26, 2014

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Jimmy Carter posted:

Ruckus just launched a line of APs called Xclaim that's pretty much this, and trying to be AirPort for SoHo (management only through an iOS/Android app, not having high-end but extraneous features, etc.) That being said, product is still really new. A bug they just fixed a few days ago:

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Does the C7 make a good AP? (Not router, just AP) I originally had a single laptop with wireless, but now I've got kids so I have something like a dozen wireless devices going at any one time.

Smaller question - what's the recommended powerline gear? I doubt any will work in this '70s era house, but it's worth trying instead of crawling around in the attic again.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
are there any non-garbage home wifi units?

I'm running a pair of TPLink archer A7s in access point (non-routed) mode, and they just don't have enough coverage.

2 story, 2800 sqft, dozens of wireless devices. 5 kids doing digital learning at the same time getting a lot of dropouts on their team calls and I'd like to improve it.

I can either replace the two i have or add some new ones (or replace with 3 or 4 new units if something is significantly better)

(A7 is the Archer C7 with ~~~alexa integration~~~ but it's worthless. I bought them because they were cheaper than the stock C7s)

Harik fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 22, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

KS posted:

Google Wifi and Eero Pro come to mind, especially since it sounds like you'd have wired backhauls that you're running your C7s on. But you should track down the problem first. You said they're in nonrouted mode -- what's the router? Have you narrowed it down to a wifi issue vs. an internet connection or router issue?

That's a good call, however: anything hardwired has no issue, so I'm fairly confident it's a wifi issue. A laptop that's on ethernet works fine, but disconnect ethernet and use wifi and it's got issues.

A debugging tip a lot of people don't know: if you get _extremely_ periodic bad connections on the 5ghz band move your channel out of the weather radar range, lol. Doppler 0.0005 kilobit radar transfer says "expect heavy packet loss every 75 seconds". Needless to say, I've already done this. It's just generally meh, not periodically unusable.

KS posted:

I think running multiple APs without coordination is generally a mistake. There are too many clients that hang on to weak signals rather than making the jump to a stronger AP. APs with controllers will recognize this and force clients to jump. Clients should also be forced to the direct connected AP over any repeater or mesh AP if signal levels are reasonable. These aren't standards based things, so everyone has their own implementation and some are better than others.
Agreed. Is there anything short of enterprise gear that does this? Hell, if there's non-vendor firmware for the C7s that does it properly I'd use that, they're cheap enough to be disposable at this point if the flashing goes wrong.

KS posted:

You really shouldn't need to run separate SSIDs for different bands. Band Steering should just work on any good equipment made in the last decade.
Great, tell that to IoT vendors who make products that completely poo poo their pants if presented with unified SSIDs.

There's a reason my 5g is named "alexa_is_garbage".

But hey Bezos got that chip for a half cent less than one that worked correctly, and really, does anything else matter?

movax posted:

I feel like this is what I should do in my office instead of a comical amount of RJ-45 in single- or dual-gang junction boxes...
Those are nice. I terminated all my drops in a 24 port cat6(e? 7? I'd have to check) panel but those ones that take wall-jacks are pretty nice for smaller setups.

I put 2-4 drops wherever I went since it's a lot more work drilling and running a fish than it is to pull a few extra cables back down with it. Having a bunch of spools is nice too, you can just pull them all at once.

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 23, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Evis posted:

I’ve bought one or two things like this and returned them when they didn’t connect to wifi.

If it was anything other than the $!@# alexa I would have. Unfortunately I got overruled on that one so split SSIDs it is.

On the upside, I can simply not put the 2.4ghz ssid in devices that support 5g, lest they get any dumb ideas about what they should be connecting to.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

KS posted:

Airport radar too. If you don't have an interference detection technology like cleanair, I'd just use the non-DFS 5 ghz bands if they're relatively uncrowded.

Yeah, the mesh systems do this. Eero and Google Wifi for sure -- I have no experience with the newer Nest model and I know it doesn't do wired backhaul. Ubiquiti access points do it as well.

I think you may find your dual band SSID problems go away on different hardware.

What's the go-to for Ubiquiti access points nowdays? The models in the OP are a couple years out of date.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
What's my best bet for 40gb fiber from my office downstairs to my NAS upstairs? I've got 40gb mellanox cards on both ends already because the FlexLOM versions were dirt cheap, even with buying the adapter to standard PCIe. I'm using a QSFP+ to 1xSFP+ adapter and 10GbaseT for now since I only have copper in the walls.

Why? Why not? Bigger number = better than I've got flash in my NAS so I can saturate 10g already, and I'm in the process of rebuilding it with more cache as L2ARC and more ram for ARC so it'll probably be pushing 40g. That said, my 10g over copper isn't perfectly stable, and if I'm going to put in fiber I might as well make it fast.

I'd guess total distance is about 20 meters since I have to go up to the attic and over. I own and I ran the copper myself so it's not going to be a huge deal to pull something, I'm just trying to figure out what I should be pulling and if it's reasonable to buy it.

Looking at https://www.fs.com/products/36395.html?attribute=360&id=1992208 QSFP+ modules unless there's a better option.

Do I need 12-strand MTP or is 8 in a 12 connector enough? The description says "MTP/MPO-12 (8 of the 12 Fibers Used)" so I'm guessing that I can buy 8 strand pre-terminated cables and run them?

https://www.fs.com/products/30977.html (15 or 20m, I'll measure my run first). Crossover trunk, crossover patches.

Do I need to do anything special or can I just get MTP keystone jacks to terminate them in?

I've only dealt with fiber someone else has ran or in-rack connections, so I want to double check before I spend a few hours in the dusty attic pulling the wrong thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

M_Gargantua posted:

That's specifically for splitting a single QSFP+ 40G port into four separate 10G devices.
The cable? It's a MTO-12 to MTO-12. There's different cables for MTO-12 to 4/6 pairs.

Edit: https://www.fs.com/products/68047.html is a breakout MTO-12 to 4/6x LC

As far as I can tell 40GB is just 4 SFP+ modules packed into one, so it's using 4 fibers each way and the MTP-12 interface makes it easy to connect them. There's also singlemode modules but they're way more expensive.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 12, 2023