Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm not sure this is in the exactly right thread but hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction.

I work for a University in a department that has access to sensitive information. Because of this our new head of IT for the campus has decided to lock down my department from web browsing. Now, he did this by saying "don't browse the web" and due to the number of users I'm not completely sure he's either got the ability or know-how to track each and every one of us. What I'm wanting to do is to bypass this restriction by using the already created connection to my home synology NAS. The problem with this is that I have certain websites that only function using "on-campus" IP address. When I try to access these websites using my home connection it is refused.

I have tried a couple different ways including the "long way around the ocean" by trying to connect to the home VPN, then re-connecting to my work through the work-provided VPN...this didn't work. Since it's just web traffic I'm worried about I thought about a SSH Tunnel or even something as easy as a proxy to my Synology. From what I can catch on Google I understand there's also the ability to do a Split VPN where I could send certain traffic through my regular internet connection and other traffic through the VPN. I'm not sure how to do either and Google isn't being much help on how to set any of this up on my Mac.

Has anyone got any ideas so I don't have to resort to using my iPad all day long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I'm needing help in a with a couple different areas in wiring my new house. Here is a diagram of the house. The stars are locations of network/tv jacks throughout the house (everything is wired with Cat6a). The upstairs closet is where all the runs come back to and contain the "Home Run box" for my local ISP/TV provider. My house is being built in their "smart build" program and mandates one network/tv jack in each living area. My internet coming in is symmetrical gigabit (average about 930-950) using my current Netgear R7000 router.

Are these Ubiquiti switches user-friendly enough for most people? I have experience configuring DD-WRT but have never really spent much time setting up an entire network. Are the throughput (WAN to LAN) of the Ubiquiti switches pretty high?

If I used a ubiquiti switch, would I still need to set up my current router or could I just run the access points instead? If I instead just used my current router and set up a couple access points, would it work just as well (and still maintain a single SSID each for the 2.4 & 5ghz bands)?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

BiohazrD posted:

If I didn't have a bunch of random ESP8266 devices around the house controlling things, I wouldn't even have 2.4 enabled.

My dad has a weird Asus laptop that will do N but only at 2.4ghz and TKIP only. So anytime they come to visit I have to go reset my whole drat network so he can check his email.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

CrazyLittle posted:

A switch won't replace your router. It just gives you more ports to plug into for your additional wired devices. For your house, you'd plug the Netgear router WAN into your internet connection, and one of the four LAN ports into the switch. Then you'd plug everything else into the additional switch

This was me being a distracted idiot while typing. I meant one of the edge routers

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I'm VERY interested in seeing some reviews on Ubiquiti's new AmpliFi system. I had pretty much decided to take the plunge in to all Ubiquiti equipment for my new house but was pretty intimidated by the potential learning curve. This new system looks awesome and I just hope it performs that way too.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Wow, this is sounding better and better. It's basically the price of 2 Ubiquiti AC access points AND you don't have to bring your own routing device. I might be sold.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Anyone picked up an Amplifi system yet? The routing software is apparently different than normal Ubiquiti products. Apparently you can do port forwarding but not DMZ or VPN's through it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

highmodulus posted:

I have- just running it stock though. Its been a champ for me.

How many port forwards can you have? Can you post any pictures of the settings pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Well, I guess I'm at the end of my house building journey and I'm still as conflicted about my wireless plan as when I started. I'm supposed to be meeting with the fiber optic guys in the middle of next week and will need to have a plan finalized at that point in order to get everything installed for move in. My house is two stories and roughly 2700 sq ft with the main fiber optic line coming in on the second floor in my bonus room. The whole house (including the back deck, front porch and crawl space) is wired with cat6a. I will have symmetrical gigabit internet installed as well.

I currently have a Netgear R7000 & an Asus RT-AC66u that I used in my old house (about 1200 sq ft). It worked well enough but there were areas in my yard where I just couldn't get internet. I want to make 100% sure that my entire house/yard are covered and I'm getting the signal as far as I possibly can be out into the neighborhood as the pool is about 30-40 yards from my house.

I can think of three possible avenues but I can't decide on what would be best/easiest. I have a NAS that I run Plex on along with about 20-30 wireless/wired devices throughout the house.

1. Buy new Netgear X4S, X6 or other router as my main, then use the R7000 & AC66u as access points in different areas of the house (probably my cheapest option)
2. Sell my existing routers, buy Amplifi HD and try mesh networking (probably the smartest move but I'm leery of the scaled down router/networking options, especially with my NAS)
3. Buy Edgerouter Lite, 3 Ubiquiti AC Pro access points and give it a go (probably my most time consuming & expensive option)

HELP!