Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Never mind me!

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I need to be able to set time limits, on internet connectivity, preferably per MAC on my home network. Is this even possible and if so, how?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Any recommended DIY write-ups for wiring old town-houses? At the moment I'm just run cable from my basement to the third floor and the joists are killing me. I'm at the point where I'm considering running a cable up the side of the damned place but I really rather not.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I have a 4th generation Airport Extreme and my family does a lot of streaming. Im not savvy enough to figure out if getting something like the RT-N16 would be noteable difference.

I guess what I am asking is if there is something out there worth upgrading from the old 4G Airport Extreme.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Are you experiencing any performance issues with your current router (e.g. streams buffering)? Also when you say streaming, do you mean of online media, or stuff within your local network?

We have three 360s acting as set-top boxes throughout the house connecting through my main pc for recorded content. The kids use Netflix often as well. We get stutters often enough for me to consider upgrading but I'm not familiar enough with routers to know if there's anything remarkably better out there.

While most of the network is wired we have two laptops, two tablets, three phones and one GoogleTV device going through the wireless.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I would like to run internet from my basement to the third floor of my townhouse without punching holes in walls. I imagine the best way to do that would be to run a cable up the side of the house and in through the attic and have it plugged into a switch there. Would CAT6 work or should I go with fiber for something like that?

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 7, 2012

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

IT Guy posted:

I'd just run weather-proof CAT6 since it will do 10Gbit.

Sounds good. I don't suppose it would act as a lightning rod out there though?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I got a bug up my rear end last night and ran a CAT6 cable from the router in my basement up into the attic of my townhouse.

Its pretty clear to me now that I'm only going to be able to run the one cable and its a miracle I got that one through. I guess I will need to put in in some type of switch in the attic. There are three rooms up on the top floor that I would like to equip with two drops each.

I've two questions. Will the CAT6 suffice or should I try running something like fiber before I patch up the holes. Also, what kind of switch\router\hub would be recommended to handle the work in the attic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Dogen posted:

CAT 6 is probably fine.

Don't put a router or whatever up in the attic, drat. Run all the lines to another convenient point in your townhouse and have a patch panel there.

Clearly I wasn't thinking straight. I guess I could knock another hole or two.