Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I recently put a shed in my backyard and the wireless is spotty at best. I don't need a 10km extention or anything like the nanostations provide. Basically the router and laptop are about 60-70 feet away with 2 walls (the house wall and the shed wall) between them. I don't want to buy an outlet based extender unless someone says it will actually work. I can drill a hole in the wall of the shed if I need to, I just want an easy solution that will give me some decent wireless out there. My home router is an old rear end Actiontec MI424-WR and I'm loathe to call Frontier to upgrade it and have to spend 200 bucks or whatever it will cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
If I buy the Archer C7 (which is only 90 bucks on Amazon) can I just plug that in place of the router Verizon (now Frontier) gave me?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Thanks, I'll order the archer c7 then.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Anyone know of any cheap routers with built-in bridging capability? I attempted to use my old ActionTec MI424 using DD-WRT. Bricked it. Not a big deal. Frankly I'd rather not deal with firmware updates and risk bricking something I care about. I've got a decent wifi signal outside my shed but inside it kills almost everything including cell coverage. It's like a lead lined box. I have tried to use a powerline adapter, however due to being on different circuits, the DL speed is cut to <5Mbps (wierdly enough upload is 7.25) so I want to run a wifi antenna outside through a hole in the shed and use a wireless router for my tv and PS4 inside.

I just need a bridging router that isn't 100 bux because I've already wasted a lot of money on other ideas. Running cat5 outside is not going to work, it's about 60feet and I'd have to bury it.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
As an FYI, my local shop recommended the Asus RT-N12/D1 300Mbps Wireless-N300 3-in-1 Router/ . I bought it and it was super easy to connect to my existing wifi and use it as a bridge.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Anyone know why my son's tablet could be getting past MAC filtering for TPLink AC1750? It seems to work for every other device in the house, but his Wireless signal will just get weak but still able to access the internet. There a whole lot of easy ways to block a specific device that I know of. I know he isn't connected to the 5Ghz Wireless as it has a different SSID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Antillie posted:

His tablet might be connecting to a neighbor's wifi. Also depending on his age he might have figured out how to change the MAC address on the tablet. MAC filtering is a joke really. In fact some old versions of Android would change their MAC address every time they booted up due to a bug. Most OS's will generate a random MAC on boot if they can't read the MAC burned into the NIC for whatever reason, so flaky hardware can cause this too. If you don't want him on the wifi either don't tell him what the password is or take the tablet away. All other methods of keeping people off of your wifi are easily circumvented.
I know the MAC address is correct as I read it off the tablet itself, but it could be a nearby wifi. The flaky hardware mac address thing is new to me, which sucks to think about.