Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
My newly-built PC has an 802.11n PCI card. The problem is that it's really low to the floor and it gets horrible signal strength down there. On top of the desk, the signal is much stronger.

So, I'd like to get an extension cord/antenna that would sit on top of my desk while the computer itself remains below.

I'm having a hard time finding free-standing antennas with long cords.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

grumperfish posted:

2.4ghz or 5ghz? If it's 2.4ghz there's tons of options on Amazon. D-link makes some decent ones although they can get a bit pricy. If you just have a single antenna, grab one of these, point it at the AP, and never worry about signal again.

If it's a 5ghz card, uh, let me know what you find as I haven't found a decent antenna yet.
It's 2.4ghz... and that's a little more money than I wanted to spend. I was thinking like less than 20 bucks. Sheesh.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
This is a pretty simple question. Currently I've got a TP-Link AC1750 wifi router hooked up to my cable modem. I'm going to be running an ethernet cable upstairs, through the wall, which will plug in to a little TP-Link 5 port switch.

Does the cable modem need to be plugged into a particular port on my router? Does the switch need to be plugged into a particular port on my router? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about these things. Do I need a patch cable or a regular cable for the router-->switch connection?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Awesome, that's what I thought. I appreciate the help.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Looking to buy a new router to better handle my new 500/500 internet. Currently I have a TP-Link AC1750 v2, and it doesn't want to give me more than 100mbps, both wired and wireless. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about doing something MicroTik, but they're a little intimidating. I just want something that's not going to need to be reset every couple of days because the speeds suddenly drop for some reason. Something reliable, with wireless, obviously. The MicroTik AC3 looks cool, but I can't find it anywhere.

I don't want to just use the modem that came with my internet because the wifi signal isn't great, and it's not near the majority of my other networked stuff (NAS, a switch, etc).

Any suggestions? The TP-Link AC1800 looks alright, but some user reviews make it sound like it has some QA problems or something. I dunno.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 17, 2021

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

thiazi posted:

It shouldn’t be limiting you to 100 on wired. That implies you have low link speed either due to the cable you are using or you client system having an old NIC. Because the wireless is acting the same, I’d check the cable from your modem to your router first.
That's something that I've done already, but it didn't make a difference. I've read that some copies of this router have this problem.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I do appreciate the troubleshooting steps, but yes, I have tried all of that. I've never been able to get speeds through the router greater than 100mbps on any port, even on the LAN.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Directly to my router, I get 100. Directly to my modem, I get about 480. Sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Actuarial Fables posted:

Searching around, it does seem like others have had this issue with this model of router.

Sneeze Party, do you have a budget in mind?
Less than 150. Mesh router systems aren't really my jam. At this point I'm leaning toward another TP Link, like the AX20 or whatever. But a fancier solution would be fun to play with. The MicroTik stuff looks rad but it is a little intimidating. One feature I'd love would be the ability to OpenVPN some ports but not others.