Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
So what's the thought on the ASUS RT-N12 router? It seems to be the slightly gimped version of the RT-N16 but at half the price. 300MHz Broadcom, non-MIMO, no USB. Though I guess at these specs I'd be better off with a refurb E2000. It has a special build of Tomato off the standard TomatoUSB trunk, anyone know why?

BTW: the RT-N16 is $10 less at Amazon.com right now after MIR until 10/31/11

Since the router is for my parents I'll probably convince them to spring for the RT-N16 since they're hoping to stream HD, but I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Manky posted:

Is there a cheap wireless router that'll let me manually set the MAC address? That's really the only feature I need other than being inexpensive and reliable.

MAC on the WAN side? I haven't come across one that doesn't.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm looking for a modem that I can buy offline, I need it before Sunday as the one I have now is dying pretty quickly.

I looked for the Motorola SB6120 but can only find the 121. The SB6121 has overheating issues thanks to wifi, is there something I can do to fix that or a better modem I can use?

My budget is about $120.

Get it from Amazon.com for $77.99 + $3.99 for overnight shipping to get it Saturday (if you order in the next 15hrs)

Don't have Amazon Prime?

1) Amazon.com/student = free year
2) Amazon.com/mom = free year
3) Go to the SA-Mart thread and split with some goons.

Also, the SB6121 doesn't have WiFi so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

uapyro posted:

Do they offer Saturday delivery? I've only once seen it. Ordered something immediately, then get an email saying it would be Monday. Called their support line and I was told they don't do it. If it's that specific location, or I just got bad phone rep I don't know.

*shrug* The 6120 had it as an option and said Saturday so I would assume so.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot!

I checked around and it seems it's some kind of modem/wireless router combo and the router part of it is bad and causes overheating.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorol...customerreviews

One guy thoroughly complains about it here.

I think the guy's a moron. There *is* a wireless/modem combo offering, but it's not the SB6121.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG6580-Wireless/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=pd_cp_e_2

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

ryanbruce posted:

5GHz is good if you have the equipment to handle it (unlikely on the phone end but it looks like the computers can).

Otherwise just do a site survey and just find a less crowded channel on the 2.4GHz band (keep in mind the interference bleeds over a few channels usually)

You should at least do a quick site survey to see where there's room. The people in this thread may have a better program to try it with though.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Ragingsheep posted:

Is it possible to have two networks on the same router? What I'm after is having a on set of computers on a "private network" and another set of computers on a more public one?

Some routers have the ability to choose separate VLANs. Tomato can, for example.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I installed DD-WRT on my Cisco Valet Plus M20 (still $30 at Amazon btw) and I'm getting it all set up.

After enabling UPnP my Xbox is working right, but I can't get the Media Center Extender functionality working. Doing the tests for MCE connection came back good, but when I try and connect via MCE it just sits at that initial screen with the line of bubble things.

Is there anything else in DD-WRT that I might not be doing right?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Refurb D-Link 601 for $13 + $5 SH on 1SaleADay today (expires midnight EST)

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Magic Underwear posted:

Don't listen to the other guy, what you should really do is cover your walls and windows with tin foil to act as a faraday cage, thus blocking the wifi signal.

Also effectively punishing the gf too.

So I have an obnoxious issue that I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

Setup:

Problem:
When trying to stream content to my Xbox from my Windows Media Center, my network drops to total garbage. I'll have the Status page up and I'll go from ~100mpbs/300mbps down to ~11mbps when I'm trying to access my PC's video library. This makes video nearly unplayable without a long period of buffering, and the MCE (well, technically MediaBrowser) interface incredibly laggy. If I'm using the Xbox to stream Netflix, game, etc there is not an issue.

Attempted Fixes:
* Switched from a WRT54G running Tomato to the M20 Plus (now running DD-WRT) (I don't know if the network was dropping to terrible speeds back when I had the 54G, I just attributed poor performance to it being a G router)
* Upgraded my 802.11G Dell wireless card to an Intel AGN card.
* Internet suggested dropping my NIC down to 10/100 from 10/100/1000 on the MCE. Other desktops are usually powered off.
* Changed router channels, set to auto
* Increased width from 20mhz to 40mhz (had it on 20 since I didn't want to be a spectrum hog)

Suggestions? This wasn't an issue at my old place where I had the Xbox wired directly to the gigabit switch.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Devian666 posted:

There one bit that confuses me. Is the media centre pc connected to the router by wired or wireless connection. You have references to a NIC and wireless card.

Desktops are all hard wired with gigabit capabilities (well, with the exception of the Win7 machine set to 10/100 currently). Though as I'd mentioned, the other desktops are powered down.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Devian666 posted:

The only possible thing I could think of that could occur while everything is operating correctly is: that you may be streaming from the MCE pc higher bitrate that you are getting from netflix. If that is the case then you are probably at the limit of the router's wireless performance.

Well that doesn't explain why it drops to crap speeds though, saturating the pipe shouldn't make the overall Rate drop. (117Mbps in the photo but if I were streaming via MCE it'll drop to 11 or so)

Also, keep in mind that the issue happens just on the WinMCE menu too. Granted MCE Extenders work by basically creating an RDP session to my computer, it shouldn't be causing *that* kind of grief (especially when it doesn't cause me any problems when RDP'ing from my laptop to my desktop)

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Since our state isn't being allocated the budget for an IT Director, I've been stuck with the gig as a volunteer position and have been tasked with getting our new state HQ up and running.

Currently there's only about 10 clients downstairs and 5 upstairs, but once we've got things rolling, there will be 20-30 wired clients and probably another 10-20 wireless clients.

Here's the network as it is now (ghetto and set up with priority to "just getting it to work" first):

Currently, the Comcast modem unit is handling the DHCP/DNS and the WRT54GL's are upstairs and downstairs as just access points. I'm curious if one of these WRT54GL routers (which I'll stick DD-WRT on) taking over as DHCP/NAT/etc would make my life easier or if I should leave it as is. I would disable the wireless on it and use a different AP for the downstairs office.

I'd like to eventually add VPN support to the mix, but that's assuming the router can handle that too. Worst case it'd be Hamachi or something.

I'm not completely opposed to a m0n0wall or smoothwall solution, assuming it's not super scary. (Plus free)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
There aren't any issues yet, but we're still a small office that doesn't have everything hooked up (I don't expect full saturation until closer to mid summer). I'm just preparing now so I don't fry this Comcast supplied box and can spend some time planning it out.

I'm hoping to eventually get remote admin functionality, would using the existing combo unit make that more difficult?

I've never actually used a combo unit before; always purchased my own modem and then connected a router to it.

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: Also that setup offends me deeply for being stuck at G/100 speeds :argh:

I work with what I'm given with :smith:

To put it in perspective, the PCs we're using are P4 or PD Optiplex systems with a gig of RAM, using ncomputing devices to get 2 additional terminals off them.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 27, 2012