Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Why would anyone be ok with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Exactly. Comedic forums arguing aside, I second the recommendation of MikroTik and/or Ubiquiti for home use. They often perform better than the consumer-grade hardware for home that's commonly recommended here. That is if you're not too overwhelmed with the possibility of having to do in-depth configuration (MikroTik via Winbox or Ubiquiti via their CLI if it can't be done via the web GUI.) I've personally been installing MikroTik routers for people, one of which is running a home business and also catering to their kids' multiple WiFi devices within the home.

While it may not be considered a fair comparison, the previous router used by the person with the home business was a Linksys and it couldn't handle the bandwidth usage let alone provide a powerful enough WiFi signal throughout the home. No issues since replacing it with a MikroTik w/built-in WiFi.

I use Ubiquiti at home. I just find it hard to believe consumer hardware is still garbage.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

Is there any way to configure some device in my home as an adblocking proxy of some kind, then configure my phone to get all of its web data through this proxy? Like having ad block on my phone at all times, especially when I'm using 3G/4G data?

I do this at home. I have a Squid proxy running on a computer, and I configured my DHCP server to send an automatic proxy configuration URL (pac file) to my clients (phones and tablets).
It only works on my home's wifi; it won't work for mobile data.

For mobile data, you could open the proxy to internet traffic (with authentication) and configure your phone to use it. Or you could set up a VPN on your home network and configure your mobile devices to use it. The downside to both of those would be that all of your mobile traffic would pass through your home internet connection, which might be slow.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Axiem posted:

Well, then. I learned something, and the More You KnowTM...

More stupid questions of a bit of a different tact. I didn't really like how the EdgeRouter X had a name of "ubnt", so I changed it (and I'm pretty sure I rebooted the router). However, when I scan my network with iNet Network Scanner, it's still showing up as ubnt. When I attempt to `ping ubnt` , it can't resolve the name, but when I `ping newname`, it resolves that name as 127.0.1.1.

Why is iNet still reporting the name as ubnt?

What's the actual technical term for the thing I keep calling "name"?

How do devices report their own names on a network outside of Bonjour?

Is there a command-line thing I can run to query an IP address to get its name? Or to query that sort of thing in general?

How can I get my EdgeRouter X to report the new name instead of ubnt when asked?

Where is the 127.0.1.1 coming from?

It's called the host name. It is reported by DNS. You can do a reverse DNS lookup using the nslookup tool on Windows and Unix:
code:
$ nslookup 192.168.0.7
Server:         192.168.0.1
Address:        192.168.0.1#53

7.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa        name = grimace.mcdonalds.com.
You can set it in the CLI config:
code:
set system host-name newname
The 127.0.1.1 is added by default to your EdgeRouter's /etc/hosts file. You can override it with this config:
code:
set system ip override-hostname-ip 192.168.0.1

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Axiem posted:

When I do a "show system host-name", it tells me that it's already set to the new name. When I try to do the set, it tells me "The specified configuration node already exists".

Is the fact that I'm overriding the "system name-server" interfering with this at all?

I'm not at my network now, but look at the contents of your EdgeRouters /etc/hosts file. If there's no entry for your host name or it's wrong try rebooting. Actually, before that, make sure you have "commit"ed your config.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

When I used Vonage, I was able to plug it into a phone jack. After that, all of the other phone jacks in the house were connected to Vonage. If you do this, you also have to unplug the phone line from the box outside your house (or wherever it comes in from the local phone utility).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Deeters posted:

I've got a bunch of cat 5 cables filling up a box in my closet. Is there any way to test them besides just plugging them in and seeing if I get a connection? I see cable testers on amazon, but I'm guessing a sub $20 one probably isn't that good.

Take them to a place that recycles copper and buy some new ones.