Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If anyone is interested, I have been pretty happy with my asus rt-n56u. It didn't have tomato or ddwrt support but a while back some Russian dude started modifying the existing firmware: http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

The asus interface is better than most default ones to begin with (except for some bad English) so I don't mind using it. Now though it has updated kernel, optware support, VPN server, full ssh. They pulled drivers for the chipset from another project as well so you can enable experimental hardware NAT over wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
It looks like about 5 days ago the guys that have been making custom firmware for the ASUS RT-N56U swapped out the existing GUI (which wasn't half bad to begin with for a default), with something a lot cleaner and custom:

I think with this project being so actively developed and pulling code from the wive-rtnl project, I have no need for the other firmware that haven't supported the router yet.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have an RT-N56U that I have loved since I got it. I have no problem getting the full 100mbps+ down from my optimum connection via wireless, but I don't really stress it much more than that, but my macbook claims I am connected at 450Mbps transmit rate via the 5Ghz N channel. The newer models are probably even better.

I was running the custom firmware for a while, but asus upgraded it not too long ago to what they call ASUSWRT and I tossed that on there. I think ASUS have some of the best OEM released firmware at this point. but there is also a modified version for some models called asuswrt-merlin http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

So I think that the AC56U is probably a good choice.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Xaris posted:

I have them on different SSIDs though :confused:

You could try setting it to 40Hz only instead of 20/40hz, and N only if it has those options. Might help in some cases.