Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Alright, need some advice.

Apparently (based of tons of googling), there's bad batches of RT-N16s out there. Mine will slow down over the course of a couple days until I have to power cycle it (ie: 0.5mbps throughput pre-reboot, 18mbps after). It also drops signal fairly regularly. It does this with stock firmware, newest asus firmware, and with tomato, so it seems like a hardware issue. It's infuriating. I'm past amazon return period so I'll need to maybe RMA at and pay the shipping cost, but I really just want to get a different router and not deal with it. Is the Airport Extreme firmware decent these days? Last time I had one ~6 years ago, you couldn't forward port ranges, just one port at a time and it was a pain in the rear end. If not, I'd try the Netgear routers but they seem to use the same chipset as the Asus? Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
My RT-N16 is now basically needing to be rebooted every day or else throughput drops to below 1Mbps. Is a ubiquiti generally much more reliable?

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Fly posted:

I deal with a couple setups with an RT-N16 gateway with Unifi APs. That's been quite stable, but there's no reason the RT-N16 should be causing problems unless there is a configure issue or hardware issue. Have you turned off UPnP? The RT-N16 has only 32kB of NVRAM, and UPnP will fill it up and cause instability. Other things can also cause trouble by filling up the NVRAM on the RT-N16, but otherwise, it should be rock solid unless the hardware is failing.

You didn't mention which firmware is running on your RT-N16 and what you've tried doing to make it more stable. Have you reset all setting to factory defaults and than manually changed what you need?

It's pretty new, but it's had the same issue with stock asus, latest asus, ddwrt, and tomato. All lose throughput after time and i have to reboot. I do have uPnP turned on for my consoles to have an openish NAT, does that really cause those issues?