Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I hope this is the right thread for this. Here's how my house looks:

WRT54GS on latest tomato
Mac mini on G
Dell laptop on G

The mac mini is basically a torrent workhorse. I can usually get 1.3mb/s down running a bunch of torrents. What bothers me is that when I go to copy a file from the mini to the dell over SMB, the transfer starts at 100kb/s and slowly ramps up to 500kb/s. I can't move the mini into a better reception position but I know it can do 1.3mb/s down and I think 800-900kb/s up. I have the dell laptop right up to the router antennae. I'm also use an antenna relocator for the router with ~15.5" aftermarket antennas.

Should I be happy with 500kb/s or is that really lovely? It makes streaming SD movies a chore sometimes when the variable bitrate jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why is nobody on channel 14?

Edit: Oh...

I switched to channel 14 and my laptop still worked making me think it was best thing since no one else was on it but then I checked my other machines and they all can't use it :(

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 3, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So what exactly happens when a channel gets too crowded?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Devian666 posted:

When the channels get crowded the channels will tend to jam each other. If I copy large files over wireless I can easily jam 80% of the available wireless spectrum. All this means is that everyone's wireless tends to get significantly slower.

So the poor guy above with his wireless on the same channel with two other wireless networks is getting slowed down by their activity and slowing theirs as well.

So inSSIDer graphs the channels as overlapping. Does that mean that if channel 4 and channel 6 are super crowded, channel 5, in the middle, will be affected despite it being pretty open?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any idea when we'll start seeing cheap/integrated 10G for the consumer?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thoom posted:

Just for perspective, to saturate a 10Gbit connection with a file server, you would need about 4 top-end SSDs all going doing reads at full steam. Assuming your motherboard's storage controller could even handle that, that is. You could almost run a graphics card over ethernet with that kind of bandwidth.

Yeah but it's not like there's any good options in between 1G and 10G in the consumer space is there?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thoom posted:

Most consumers couldn't even saturate 1Gbit more than very occasionally, especially since so many devices are wireless and therefore confined to the 50-300Mbit range.

Well I'm not talking about your average consumer but towards the extreme end of what would technically be considered 'consumer'. For instance, small businesses that cannot afford enterprise level networking. Independent/Freelance digital content creators, etc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Longinus00 posted:

If you can afford hardware that can saturate 10Gb then you can afford the networking gear.

Well I don't really think you need to be able to saturate it before you need it. What if you're running at full saturation of 1G with just a few machines but still shy of 10G?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, you can do that - although if you're going to go more than 4 or so then it starts making more sense to just get 10G.

So link aggregation with 1G works up to 4? Can you get 4x1G NICs cheaper than 10G NICs?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thoom posted:

The cheapest 10G NIC on newegg is about 500 bucks. A 1G NIC is about :10bux:.

I meant a 4x1G NIC as in 4 1G ports on a single NIC and supports link aggregation..

Edit: Ok, there's a few on newegg for ~$250 but I can't tell if they support link aggregation (802.3ad?).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 21, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ninja Rope posted:

Link aggregation/LACP won't improve the performance of one client to one server communication (unless a layer 4 hashing algorithm is used, available on some switches, and multiple connections are created between the client and server). It's useful for one-to-many, many-to-many, and redundant connections, though.

So if I did need those things 10G is the only option then?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Jago posted:

How about thunderbolt? If your other machine is near you, that's a 10gbit connection no? I guess there probably isn't software to do this yet. You'd have to wait until 2012 before the hardware is available for non macs (or buy new macs) though. Hopefully their fiber optic cables actually come out as they are promising 100meter runs.

Is this seen as ANY kind of replacement to ethernet/TCP in the future?

Can you network with TB? Switching?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats with all these new routers not having external antennas? Are aftermarket high gain antennas a thing of the past?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
With real world speeds, assuming I have an N router 20ft away from an N laptop with line of sight, can I safely stream a 90minute 10GB HD movie? That's roughly 1GB every 10min.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Moey posted:

If you have cable internet, this is the standard go-to choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122015

Why would you want an aftermarket modem over the one they give you? Performance?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

This looks pretty poo poo. I'm in Los Angeles, on Time Warner cable with the 'Road Runner Standard 'Package'.

Although I did take this reading at 10AM on a sunday. I'll try again in the evening and early morning.

Edit: Oh, maybe thats just what I bought (10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up)

http://www.timewarnercable.com/socal/learn/hso/roadrunner/internetplans.html

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 27, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Moey posted:

DOCIS 3.0 allows you to break through the 42mbit barrier that caps DOCSIS 2.0

Also since DOCSIS 3.0 supports multiple channels, I have heard of people getting a good amount higher of bandwidth than what they are paying for (not true for everyone, but I am getting higher speeds than I am paying for).

Another benefit is I trust my own hardware, I don't want to use their leased stuff. Comcast also charges like 7 bucks a month to rent a modem, the SB 6121 was only like $83 shipped, it also makes sense that it will pay for itself.

Interesting. How do the cable companies control your up/down speed cap for the different tiers they offer? If it was all in the modem, you would think people would have hacked the poo poo out of that by now right?

But even if I did get an aftermarket modem, won't returning the leased modem tip them off to your shenanigans?

Edit: Lastly, what do I need to do to swap out the modem? Do I need to configure the new one with some sort of credentials for it to work? It's been so long since I did the last time.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 27, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ thanks

So Im cruising around town and I see that there's a docsis 3 modem by Zoom for roughly the same amount as the Motorola 6121. Is it any good?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 27, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats the deal with the DIR-655? Its got ~1800 reviews on newegg with a really high avg rating but it doesn't support any of the custom firmwares.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

It uses a Ubicon CPU which isn't supported by DD-WRT or Tomato.

It's an 802.11n router with built-in gigabit LAN/WAN ports (albeit 2.4 GHz 802.11n only) that's now selling for a sale price of $65 (was $99) and three external antennas which will give you MIMO capability / increased throughput (assuming you're using 802.11n wireless equipment..)

Also its firmware has a bunch of features similar to those found in Tomato / DD-WRT, such as the ability to set antenna power, QoS settings, manual settings for the WAN port (can be set to gigabit for best compatibility with DOCSIS 3.0 modems.) Also seems to have some sort of Virtual Server feature in addition to the standard port forwarding options. Another interesting feature is that it can automatically email system logs to an arbitrary / external address and has a website filter that allows you to enter URLs that will be blocked by the router itself.

I'd say it looks like a good router for sysadmin types who don't need that newfangled 5 GHz technology. You could conceivably swap out its three little 2 dB antennas for more robust 5 dB antennas for even more range.

Thanks for that. I still don't get the relationship between 802.11n, MIMO and 5ghz. Don't the client devices also need to support MIMO and 5ghz in order to take advantage of them? Don't they also need multiple antennae as well? Am I poo poo out of luck on older 802.11g laptops by just upgrading the mini-pci card since they may only have 1 or 2 internal antennae?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
^^^ Thanks. This is for my home BTW. I've been using a WRT54G for the longest time. Its just been a big catch 22 to upgrade since none of my clients were n but now a few are.

To get MIMO to work, I assume I have to enable it on the router and also on the client(?).

Also, 5ghz is really only useful because 2.4ghz gets crowded? But it has a shorter range and is affected more by walls and obstacles?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 28, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So on a mac or a windows box, where do you typically find the mimo settings? Will I have to install some vendor app?

Also, if I'm using a dual band router, how do I know if I'm connecting on 2.4ghz or 5ghz since they're both active right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I bought a Motorola SB6121 for kicks. I haven't activated it yet but I decided to run one last set of tests before switching over just to see what kinds of gains I would get.

I ran this at 7AM directly connected to the old modem:

I'm paying for 10/1 mbit. I hope the Moto runs even better.

Here's what I get at work (off peak, 10PM):

Not sure how that would compare to a well connected college and other large businesses.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 29, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can I connect multiple machines to my router using 1 set of powerline adapters?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why does it take over 200 hops to traceroute to forums.somethingawful.com from my workplace?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Am I going to see any online gaming improvement moving my xbox 360 from a very strong line of sight wireless connection to a wired connection and also put in the DMZ?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

elite_garbage_man posted:

Unless your wireless network is hanging on by a thread, you won't notice a difference. Instead, you should look into an internet service with a faster upload speed. Putting it on a DMZ won't help either.

Are you having trouble opening the right ports for XBL?

No trouble, just want better latency. Anything wrong with using the DMZ over port forwarding for XBL? I figure there's no harm and less work for me and the router.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not really a home networking question but if I've got a 10G switch with 1x10G device hooked up and 10x1G devices, will the 10G device bandwidth be utilized beyond 1G if all the 1G devices start communicating with the 10G device at the same time? Does anything special need to be setup for this to work?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is a dumb question but it should be fine to plug a switch into one end of the powerline adapter right? With 4-8 devices attached to the switch sharing the bandwidth over the powerline? Shouldn't really be an issue since the powerline adapter's peak bandwidth should still be less than my broadband anyway and realistically I'll only have 3 devices active on the switch during peak times.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sorry if this is not the apropos thread for it.

How close are we to having mainstream 10G on mid-high end workstations? As in, built into motherboards and not an optional add on? Sorry if this is not the apropos thread. I'm constantly saturating 1G at work as we keep all storage on the network but I know its not something that can be easily or cheaply rolled out. I figure having it ubiquitously on workstations and servers will drive up adoption as you're pretty much forcing everyone to buy into 'half' of the hardware requirement.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FISHMANPET posted:

What are you doing that you're saturating 1G all the way to the clients? With the kind of massive storage and network infrastructure it would require to keep that all chugging along, how is an extra $500 per client a dealbreaker?

For the lack of a better word, 'video editing'. Its not really video editing, its compositing. Think of a 100 layer photoshop file with each layer being a separate file on disk. It doesn't have to play at realtime speed by any means but its a lot of data. Our material is 24fps in stereo so for each frame we are reading hundreds of files and processing them. We also have movie files that are upwards of 100 Mega-BYTEs per second that have to be buffered for realtime playback but thats an edge case. Most of our movie files do not saturate 1G but we also have lots of users. I'm sure there are people here who would have better answers but I was just asking in general if integrated 10G in the workstation market is a real thing thats going to happen.

edit: We do have 10G bonded(?) connections between our network storage for sure but normal people clients only get 1G.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just bought an RT-N66U and it has to go into a cabinet where theres no room for the antennas even. Any recommendations on wired antennas I can use to relocate to outside the cabinet? Does the antenna design matter for 2.4ghz vs 5ghz? How should I space out the relocated antennas?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm really digging powerline networking. I had a mac mini tucked away under a desk and it had a hell of a time getting good wifi reception. Now that whole room(3 desktops) is on a 5 port gigabit switch and all the machines can hit the router much faster and much more reliably and consistently than previously with 802.11g.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just installed an ASUS RT-N66U using the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.276)

Previously with an old rear end WRT-54G, I used inSSIDer to pick the cleanest channel for wifi. With the RT-N66U, should I just let the router pick what it determines to be the best channel? That kind of task seems like its best suited for a machine to do anyway. Just not sure how it works when all the routers in an area are doing it programmatically which might lead to thrashing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On a related note, is ~2.5MB/s pretty good for transferring a file over SMB from a 1G ethernet powerline source to a G wifi destination?

Before with my WRT-54G I was only able to get an astounding ~900KB/s.

edit: I think I might be powerline limited.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 5, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I ask this every year but are we any closer to 10G at home or built into workstations? I know its a lot of bandwidth but I'm already hitting that at work and somewhat at home. Its more like the difference between waiting 10 minutes for files to copy vs however less it would be with 10G.

I feel like consumers/smaller businesses would be inclined to get 10G switches if their workstations all had it standard but not if it meant getting a NIC as well. Kinda like 1G. I didn't know anyone back in the day who really wanted to buy a 1G NIC but all of a sudden they were standard on mobos and laptops.

I know 10G adoption is slow and very few people would have a real use for it but that doesn't mean its not going to happen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

skipdogg posted:

Not really. It's still cost prohibitive. 600+ dollars for an adapter and over 1000 for the cheapest switch

Just checked newegg for shits and its good to see that I got a 130 results for 10G NICs which is nice to have the selection. Cheapest Intel was $334. I'm not sure how much that's really changed over the last year or 2 though.

10G Switches are still $1k+ but I think thats come down. So if you 10G at home you're looking at $2k for 2 NICs and a switch at the minimum. Guh. I'd be in personally if it were ~$500 although for $2k+ I could justify it if I owned a small business that lives on moving data.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm in an apartment with multiple floors and the router is on the 2nd floor with poor reception to the first floor. I don't care about the other floors yet. Just the first floor that I'm on. Its not my router so I can't just move it. Should I do powerline from the router to my downstairs room and then into a personal AP? Or maybe get an antenna re-locator and move one of the antennas close to the first floor...somehow?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12dBi-WiFi-...=item1e860c4fbd

Edit: oh I'm mistaken. Some asshat thought it was a good idea to keep the router on the 3rd floor of a 3 story apt with occupants on all 3 floors.

Edit2: Mistaken again! Looks like the majority of the occupants are on the 3rd floor with a straggler on the first (soon to be me). I think I might got with the netgear xwnb5201 powerline + AP. $70 after rebate at Frys!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 17, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are most rackmount switches pretty noisy with their active cooling? I'm looking for a budget (used or new) rackmount 1G switch thats not going to bug the poo poo out of me in my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

evol262 posted:

1810-24g

They're 1U. They're loud. Not as loud as 1U servers, but 40mm fans are not quit.

Its going into a AV rack so its not going to be masked by any real rackmount servers. I think I might just go with one of those sub $100 switches without active cooling.