Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Ok This is something that bugs me, but since I don't know the technical name of it, I cant really research it

Basically on a couple routers I've used it allows this and some it doesn't.

What I want to do is have my router understand that my DYDNS is inside the network..

So basically lets say my address is fuckyou.noneofyourbusiness.com and that works fine when I'm outside of my internal network, but when i go to it it doesn't work.

I've routed everything correctly, the ports are open, as i can view it outside the network.. but I was wondering if there is anything I can do so that I can just use the domain inside the network and it works?

I'm on DD-WRT, any help on what i want to do would be great.. especially the technical name of what i want to achieve so i can research it myself.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Flewdefur posted:

If you use nslookup on your internal network the subdomain should still resolve to the correct IP.

What you need is called "NAT reflection". DD-WRT should have an option for turning this on.

Thanks mate.. It seem's it is broken by default in the newer versions of DD-WRT .. however it can be re-enabled via iptables..

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Devian666 posted:

For best performance on a 3700 check that it's a 3700v2. I'm skeptical about any extra range but the 4000 has better wan to lan throughput and possibly better wireless speed (it does have a higher peak speed if you have anything that supports it).

I'm pretty happy with my 3700 but extra money where it may not make a difference to you typically isn't worth it.

I have a 3700v2 and its absolutely fantastic.. since ive installed pretty much every custom firmware on it, DD-Wrt is the best ive found.. Running OpenWRT I had crashes, and less options in the webbased settings manager.

I know I can config it differently but I really don't want too.

Also understand that the atheros chipset on the 3700v2 right now has a problem with clients running linux 3.0.0.x kernels.. its an error that the linux development team is aware of and seems to be working fine with kernel 3.0.0.14 and upwards. But basically the error would crash out the wireless on the router.

Aside from that the 3700 has some issues with the wireless, with a percentage of the hardware having signal strength issues, and poor range. Whilst I have this issue, my 3700v2's 5ghz died within a week, which i'm in the middle of replacing the router for another of the same model.

I know this sounds all doom and gloom but this really is a fantastic piece of hardware.

Also there is a 3700v3 on the market right now, it has a broadcom chipset, so there isnt any replacement firmware.

FInally, the 3800, is the same as the 3700v2 with double the memory, and apparently no issues with range or signal strength.. so if you can find a 3800 go for that.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Devian666 posted:

There are no recommendations for combo adsl modem and router as they are all bad. The recommendation is to get a router, keep the modem but switch off any functions, such as wireless and firewall functions, which the router will handle.

I had a tompson router like his, and seriously no, switching off everything but the modem functions wont let the modem handle anything...

If you can switch the whole thing out... OR ask for a modem without wireless, and get a really good router.. this is the best combo.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

grumperfish posted:

I had a Thompson ADSL router/modem at one point. You can turn off most of the router functions in the UI, but it doesn't actually turn everything off. You need to actually go into the console to do anything, but disabling router functions tends to also disable modem functions as well. The one I had was a piece of poo poo though, and maybe they fixed it later on and Mr Man's just confused.

Thanks, Sorry I didn't explain it further.

The Thompson router/modem had a custom firmware on there from the ISP, which locked out most functions. Turning off everything that I could and getting it placed in a 'bridged' mode from the ISP still gave us serious performance issues.

Perhaps it was the router, or the ISPs firmware restrictiveness but i seriously have bad experiences with routers that have been from Thompson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I have a question that someone might be able to answer. Our internet has been incredibly unstable during gaming sessions and I'm not sure what the cause is.

Speed test results give me this:

Ping is decent at 70 to the closest server, but the graph chart for the speed over time is all over the place. It seems we're not getting a consistent instream at all.

The problem is when we play League of Legends here, our ping will hover around 120 for the most part. But it will jump to 700 or higher suddenly, and then go back down again. The thing is we cannot have this during a game of LoL, it can mess you up so bad sometimes and it's getting really irritating lately.

What could be the possible causes for this. We're using an ISP modem/router, supposed to be getting 7mb down and 0.5 up, and we're both directly connected, no wireless. The ping spikes hit both of us at the same time. Should I give my ISP a call about this?

4mb down and 500kbits up??

That's your problem right there, you have a lovely upload...