Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I'm having wifi problems with my Linksys WRT54GL which has been a trooper for several years and looking for an upgrade. As the OP has not been updated since almost 2 1/2 years I am wondering what the more recommended routers are at this point.

My budget is $100 give or take, wireless is a must then again, are there any routers that aren't wireless any longer? (non commercial)

Thanks in advanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I just replaced my old warhorse WRT54GL (with DD-WRT) with a TP-Link Archer C1900 router. Was quick and easy to set up but now for the past day or so that I've had it, I noticed the wifi dropping in and out even with 3-4 bars or really drat good signal strength while using my bluray player, roku, and/or smartphone. I've looked up the issue and I've tries a lot of things.

Using default firmware
Using the included CAT5 that came with the router to connect it to the modem.
Changed DNS to google's public DNS
My PC it's wired to it and it's working 100%

Anyone have any solutions I could give a whirl?

Also, should I think about putting DD-WRT on it?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Rukus posted:

2.4GHz or 5GHz? If it's the former, it may be operating on a different channel (1, 6, 11) than the WRT54GL was, which may be more congested. When set to Auto, most routers are supposed to do a site-survey before choosing a channel, but some don't. You can find it under Advanced > Wireless 2.4GHz. You could also try raising the transmit power, but generally the default shouldn't cause any issues.

I can't find the dd-wrt page for the C1900, so it may not actually support it. Keep in mind that some routers actually perform worse when flashed with third-party firmware due to the coding for hardware acceleration being only available in the official firmwares.

2.4GHz as no other device I own except for my wife's borrowed work iPad pick up the 5G (So it's disabled.) I have it set to channel 11, everyone else is using 1 or 6 and I thought maybe the fact that it was AUTO that was making it drop since it changes channels. As for the transmit power, that's set to high and I believe the dd-wrt for the C1900 is still in beta.