Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I think the idea of a home network Meraki is really great, but I'm also pretty hesitant to believe that the Eero guys aren't overpromising here.

Seems exactly like Open-Mesh which works great for the home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Looking for some advise diagnosing a bad in-wall cat6 cable. I had an electrician run a cable with a keystone on one end (for my PC to plug into) and a plug on the other (due to shallow wall, goes into the router). The PC only connects at 100. I've tested another cable to make sure the PC and router work correctly and can get a 1gb connection.

How do I troubleshoot or fix this? He had a lot of trouble terminating the plug so I'm thinking a wire got loose or he used a cat5 plug instead (not sure they work that way. I have a cable tester but I'm not sure it supports cat6. Figured I'd pick up a crimper and some cat6 plugs and a crimper and try to redo it.

The ends are all the same he probably didn't terminate it properly, the keystone is probably fine those are easy to do but the other end needs to be redone, it's easy enough to do if you want to buy your own crimper or find one to borrow. When you do remake it just make sure you cut some ways back from where he did his end, also double check the keystone and make sure the colors line up with a type B configuration(it should be marked on there) then look up the color code for that when you redo your end.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

psydude posted:

While we're on the topic of residential cable runs, is it common for network cabling companies to do residential properties, or am I at the mercy of electricians if I want to get a house or condo wired?

I work for a large cabling firm and no we won't touch houses a residential electrician usually does that work for us and he sucks at it they mostly suck at it. If it's your house spend a hundred bucks on cabling/tools and just do it yourself it's not hard and it will probably be done better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Time Warner Cable NC for some reason installed a new cable modem for my parents. I do not know the model number, but the brand is Arris. Since it has been installed, I can no longer SSH to their system.

The TWC guy kindly put the modem into bridge mode and turned off the wifi of the device since there is an existing router/ap in their home. The router is running dd-wrt and there is a very simple port forward from port 54321 to port 22 of their system.

I have verified the port forward is correct, their system LAN IP is still the same (static), and can plainly see from a packet capture taken on their system that when I ssh or telnet to port 54321 from the WAN side that the packets never make it to their system.

I telnet'd into the dd-wrt and can see the port forward iptables rules. They have never been triggered (counters are zero), so I can only assume the packets are lost/discarded at or before the Arris. I was able to locate the web GUI address and log in for this Arris thing but there is really very little in here. I cannot see any reason it would be discarding these packets. It is clearly in bridge mode so wtf >:(.

I can ping their WAN IP (only after disabling some silly filter in dd-wrt) so this makes me believe the Arris is at least correctly forwarding most of the traffic to the dd-wrt router. I suppose the iptables chains on the dd-wrt but it is stock except for the single port forward I added via the GUI...

Any ideas here???

Time Warner modems in NC have been blocking all sorts of stuff lately, even PPTP VPN which has been a huge pain for our customers trying to VPN in from home we have been having to DMZ them it's stupid.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

psydude posted:

I called up Verizon to order service for my new house. When I told them I wanted the 300mbps internet (I'm renting two rooms to friends and we all internet hard), they flipped their poo poo and immediately waived all fees when I asked them to. Total came to like $179/mo including taxes with no contract, no service fee, and no technician fee.

So if any of you are stressing about streaming to 5 4k TVs at the same time or something, but you don't live in a google fiber area, there you go.

Sure yeah if you live in a place with choices, we have one provider in the major city I live in and it caps out at 50mbps a month.