Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So I'm setting up a network for a small business. Right now they have two DSL connections with built-in wifi. They're moving over to a fiber connection in a few weeks and asked me to setup a new network.

I'm looking at either the Linksys E3000 with tomato (I have tomato at home and I'm familiar with it), or the Netgear WNDR3700 with DD-WRT. Their will be 3 of them in this setup, as everything in the office is wireless. One will be the standard router and two of them will be wireless bridges.

Thoughts on the better router/firmware for this setup? I know they'd like to have a guest network but it's not mandatory. To my knowledge, tomatousb doesn't support this quite yet. Basically something rock-solid that can handle a decent amount of devices without going crazy,and works well in bridge mode.

Does a wireless bridge expand the normal ssid and the guest one?

Thanks for the help, I'd be open to any other suggestions too.

poxin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Devian666 posted:

It is critical know the proposed fibre speed. Just roughtly the E3000 will cope with up to 200mbit/s of wan to lan traffic and the 3700 around 400-430 mbit/s. If your total upstream and downstream speeds exceed those limits you may need to consider going to a pc based router or looking at commercial router.

They're a small company. Right now they will be starting with 10/10. Not my decision.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Right. I just wondered what the better option might be between those two hardware and firmware configurations.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

So I just got fiber from tw telecom activated in our building. They gave me a sheet with static IP, dns, and gateway information. For the life of me I cannot get internet working with ddwrt.

Am I being dense and putting these things in the wrong spaces? Would I set the router IP itself for the "LAN Ethernet usable IPs?" There is one one IP listed for that, no block or anything.

There is information for:
Assigned LAN Netblock 66.xxx.xx.208
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252
LAN Ethernet usable IPs: 66.xxx.xx.210
Default Gateway for LAN Netblock: 66.xxx.xx.209
Primary/Secondary DNS.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I wish I could say it worked. I even tried the stock netgear firmware, when I try to enter the static IP into that, it tells me it's an invalid address. It isn't. :smith:

I'd pay money to have someone fix this haha. I'm supposed to have it done today, they gave me the project thinking I know everything surrounding computers.

Edit: figured it out. On the paper they gave me, they had the numbers switched around! Had to call in tech support to find this out. I was ready to rip my hair out.

poxin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 31, 2012

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I have a stock Netgear WNDR3700v3 set up at work on a fiber line. Probably a dozen or so iPads and a dozen other computers connected via wifi. Would there be any particular reason why on 5G, I get the full speed of the fiber line (30/30) but only about half that on the 2.4 network? I know it's more than capable of providing that speed over 2.4 since my little WRT54GL at home can do it..

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

What kind of security do you have on each network?

WPA2 AES on both.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out when I go in tomorrow. In case it's pretty congested, best case is just try and find a channel that's open?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Is the 2.4 GHz spectrum congested at all?

I looked into this today. The netgear we have running is on channel 3, the next closest ssid in the area is on channel 11 with nothing else near it. Using a cable plugged direct into the router I get full 30/30, with wireless sitting right next to it, I get less than half of that.

I was looking into channel bonding with a 2.4 network. I noticed when I enabled "up to 300mbps" on the netgear, it doubled the channel spectrum in inSSIDer. It only stayed this way for a second or two, the nearest APs are on channel one and nothing else. Any reason why this wouldn't stick?

poxin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 6, 2012

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Just purchased the asus rt-16n and flashed it with tomato usb. I'm connecting at 300mbps via wireless but I'm only getting about 2.3-3.3 MB/s transfer speed to another computer that is wired into the gigabit port, any ideas why it would be so slow? That's pretty much on par with G speeds of the wrt54g it replaced :smith:

poxin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 10, 2012

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

There isn't even a single AP around using inSSIDer.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Devian666 posted:

e: ^^ Welp that's been addressed.

Go to the op and install inSSIDer or the android app and have a look at how much traffic there is in the local area. Probably worth checking speeds as you get closer to the router. How fast is the connection when the computer is sitting within 1m of the router?

Other things to check are wireless phones and old microwaves that may also be sitting on the 2.4 GHz band.

Already checked inSSIDer, no other AP's even around, I'm in a house in the middle of nowhere. Only cellphones here, no cordless phones. 1m away, I still connect at 300mbps but get those same transfer speeds.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

gently caress, is there a modern day equivalent of the WRT54GL?

I'm very happy with my Asus rt-16n. I picked it up last week and was looking for the same thing you are.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I've been having this same problem, it turned out to be my Intel wifi card in my laptop. Forcing it to G instead of N fixed my internet speeds. Unfortunately network transfers are slow now.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Which tomato are you running? The official Tomato builds won't run on it, will they? How is your N signal? I came to the realization that all my devices (sans cell phones) are N so I should probably join the future.

Tomtousb is great on it. I'm running the toastman fork right now for some other features and its also rock solid.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Any thoughts on an Asus RT-16 versus an Airport Extreme for a home router? Currently using a WRT54GL running Tomato which I've been happy with.

If you would like to continue using tomato (well, technically a fork of it) then I would absolutely go for the RT-16n. I went from the WRT54GL to a Netgear N600 (with dd-wrt) and hated it. Returned that and got the rt-16n and I love it, it's a nice step up from the linksys. I realized that I can't do without tomato personally.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Is the RT-16n reliable? The WRT54GL isn't bad but requires a reboot every now and then. I do like how the AEBS at my parents' is pretty rock solid.

I can't comment on it yet but I've been running mine for two weeks solid right now, no drops in wifi or anything.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

albear posted:

I've tried both. Reset button puts it into restore mode. WPS button clears NVRam.

When I put it in restore mode and manually set an IP for my computer, I can ping the router but I can't telnet into it.

To load tomato on mine, I used the asus utility after putting the router in recovery mode.

Edit: http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-rt-n16

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Ah, yeah the Mac instructions said to use parallels or tftp into it.

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-362916/installing-on-asus-routers-for-mac-os-x

Tutorial mentioned in the thread: http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-routers-rt-n16-etc-in-linux

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I've got a wndr3700v2 that I don't use if you want to pick one up. Used it for 3 days, bought new on Amazon.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Roving Reporter posted:

How much do you want for it shipped? You can set up an SA Mart post if you want to make it official or within the rules(?).

Just listed the wndr3700v2 in SA-Mart. Sorry it took so long. Link

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I think my poor router is dying. I've had a ASUS RT-N16 for a bit under a year loaded with tomato. It's worked flawlessly until a few days ago. All the lights are on and blinking but it seems to be dropping connectivity. I've rebooted it a few times, which will fix the issue for about 5-30 minutes, then it cuts out again. All my computers and devices lose connection to the gateway, yet looking at the router itself it seems nothing is wrong - I also can't reach it from the web interface. Is there anything I should look out for?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I'd say you can either use an extender or what I did for my home is turn off wireless on the router and get a dedicated wifi access point for the middle of the home. I used a Long Range Unifi AP, works quite well.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version the UniFi Aps? Mine has been stable going on 6 months now. You don't have to actually leave the "controller" program running 24/7 to be able to use them either.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I've used Meraki AP's in the past, but you definitely pay more for them. It depends how much into the enterprise side you want to venture. You could also check out MikroTik's offerings.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I'm trying to configure my home network with a lan wide VPN. I current have an RT-N16 router running shibby tomato which does openvpn(udp) and works great. Anything using that router will have a VPN connection going out. Problem is the little CPU in that router can't keep up past 10-11mbps. I have a 20mbps connection and Google Fiber was just announced for my area so looking to go that speed in the future.

I'd like to add another piece of hardware to the chain of my network to provide that VPN connection and take cpu load off the router. How would I set that up?

Modem > VPN Hardware > Router > Devices?
or
Modem > Router > VPN Hardware > Devices?

I'm sure something in the router would need to be configured to use that external VPN as well. Researching as much as I can but thought it would be easier to try and ask some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've had an Asus RT-N16 that's worked really well for just over two years now, but I came home and it won't turn on. When I try to unplug+plug back in, the LEDs inside flash once then nothing. Can I assume this thing is completely toast?

I had the exact thing happen about a week ago, same router. I took it apart, one of the capacitors near the power plug was bad. Soldered a new one in there and working like a champ again.

http://www.nerdybynature.com/2013/10/26/fix-a-fried-asus-rt-n16/