Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Where does the Apple Airport Extreme stand in terms of the other wifi routers listed on the last couple pages? I'm in the position to get one fairly cheap, but I'll pass if it's not all that great compared to other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

flosofl posted:

What do you want to do?

If you just want to connect to the internet and have AC networking in your house with gigabit ethernet ports and USB interface, it's fantastic. You can also set up a Guest wireless on it's own VLAN/BSS to give guests only access to the internet and not your internal stuff. It also works very well with the AP Express to extend wireless networks.

If you want to customize the hell out of your edge device and introduce QoS, VPN services, etc... you may be better off using another device or getting an edge router like a small pfSense or ZyWall device to work with the AP Extreme (as an AP only).

I don't need VPN or QoS, everyone else in the house is just a facebook/youtube type user. Mostly wondering if it can handle a 100/20 connection without losing too much speed over wifi when compared to other options, and if there's any issues with range.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

flosofl posted:

Is this the latest version? I have a 1700(ish) sq. ft. house (single story ranch), and I have not problems with coverage even out on my deck with the latest version.

The 100/20 will be no problem as long as your modem is up to it. With 5HGz N and AC, you shouldn't lose any speed unless you have 10 or 20 people trying to do stuff at once.

Yep, it'll be brand new, so latest version. That makes the decision pretty easy for me, thanks for the info.