Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I have what I think is a really simple job of wiring two bedrooms with network jacks, but I'd like some insight/advice/ tips from people who have done it before.

Here's the plan - get up in the attic, run two 75 foot cables (~45ft horizontal run plus ~9 vertical ft on each end) from the modem/network switch to each bedroom. The locations of the drops shown are where the coax drops are now, we don't have a need for those any more, so my plan is to follow those drops down and replace the coax plates with ethernet plates. Is there anything I'm not thinking about, or is it as easy as it is in my head (I know it won't be)? I know I'll have insulation to deal with, and the drops are on exterior walls, but I figure if someone already ran drops with coax, ethernet should be just as easy. Right?.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

devmd01 posted:

Normally i’m all for running Ethernet properly but this is a good use case for a MOCA setup to save yourself a bunch of hassle. I assume where your router is is where you have another coax drop in the place.

Do you know if you have fire blocks in your exterior walls? Do you have fiberglass push rods/fish sticks or can borrow some? Do you have a drill with a long enough bit to get through the wall top plates?

Old coax isn’t necessarily useless either so don’t go ripping it out just yet...plus you may not be able to if it is staples down in some capacity. I was able to re-use some of the existing coax in my house when I installed a huge antenna in the attic for OTA.

Huh, that's the first I've heard of MoCA, that seems... ideal. My modem has a MoCA logo on it, and each drop is already coax. So if my modem is already MoCA enabled, do I just need an adapter at each coax drop in the other two rooms?
That's a really simple solution, thanks for the info, I never would have known that was an option!

Edit: drat, reading online it looks like my provider (Spectrum) disables MoCA on their modems. Trying to enable it from my modem's login page doesn't seem to work, it reverts back to "disabled".

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 19, 2021

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

movax posted:

You'll need MoCA adapters — I use the Actiontec ones right now while I slowly run cables where I need them to go. IIRC they operate on Band D, which sidesteps other MoCA devices you might have and will stay out of the way of CATV frequencies. You'll need one at each location you want to go from coax to Ethernet, and you can have many on the same coax network. What I did in my place, since I don't care for TV service, is pick the two coax runs I needed to get network connectivity too, and run them to a 1:2 splitter in my garage that is rated for the full MoCA frequency bandwidth. Attached a single Actiontec to the input of that splitter, and then one at each endpoint. Passes VLANs and is basically invisible to the rest of the network.

"MoCA-enabled" on the modem is interesting — mine isn't (I assume) but I guess that's for setups where you have MoCA injected prior to the coax feed to the modem?

Ok, MoCA adapters arrived today (Actiontec ECB6250), I tried setting them up, but I'm not getting a coax connection light on either end. Here is how I set it up, according to the manual:

We only have internet service, so I have no need for the splitter going to the TVs in the manual, I connected the adapters straight from the wall to the adapter. I tested the adapters by connecting them to each other with coax and the light turned green, just not when I connected them to the wall coax connectors.

This may be a separate issue, but I wasn't able to enable my MoCA connection in my modem's settings (this is only if I want to use my modem as the MoCA adapter, right?):

I'm a real big dummy when it comes to this stuff, but I don't think I did anything drastically wrong, did I?

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

FunOne posted:

Is it new construction? Sometimes they don't install a splitter and just leave the ends bare somewhere.

No it was built in the 80s. We actually had someone from the cable company come out and test all of the connections recently, and he verified that they all worked. I may have to get them to come back out and verify that they're connected to the same splitter.

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2021

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

movax posted:

Were all the coax in your place run to a single splitter / distro amp in your basement? If so, do you have a model number / know what the bandwidth of it was?

If you do, and you can find the two runs in question and direct connect them, does it work?

That's something I'll have to check. We had some damage from a house fire next door last year, on the side of the house where the incoming service is, but that was all repaired and they tested the service in each room afterwards.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Space Gopher posted:

Can you get a look at the splitter itself? Look for bandwidth ratings, or failing that, a manufacturer name and model number. MoCA runs at pretty high frequencies that aren’t usually used for TV (>1000 MHz). An older splitter might be trashing the signal.

Also, if you have a bunch of drops throughout the house, they might have you on a distribution amplifier. Modern amplifiers will pass a passive upstream signal back to the cable company, so cable modems and boxes work, but they won’t let downstream devices talk to each other. This would be easy to identify: your “splitter” would have an active power connection.

Well the splitter isn't even in the box outside, which means it must be up in the attic somewhere. At this point I think just going with my original plan of running additional ethernet cables might be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Ugh this is driving me crazy and so far it's only happened when I'm out of town:

I have a Nest WiFi router and one point. My setup is currently
Modem -> Nest router -> Ethernet switch via port on Nest router -> Wired devices (work laptop, tv, ps5)

The issue started a couple of weeks ago when I was out of town and I got a notification that my network was offline. After returning home, I decided that my ethernet switch was the problem, so I bought a new Netgear 8-port unmanaged switch. Spectrum also recommended that I get their newer model modem, so I swapped that out as well. Swapping that out didn't help, so I contacted Google, and they walked me through doing a factory reset, deleting my network from the Google Home setup and setting it up from scratch. Everything has been working fine for a couple of weeks until I went out of town again this week, and once again I get a notification that my network is offline. I'll try the factory reset again when I get home, but I'd like to know why this keeps happening, especially when I'm out of town (I hope that part is a coincidence).