Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Dumb question that I've always wondered - How does router CPU/RAM actually relate to router performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I work for a small company with less than 5 employees for the day-to-day, but we have a fairly complicated network that consumer routers can't seem to keep up with. We have about 6-10 hardwired computers (depending on the day) distributed on a variety of switches, a half dozen VoIP phones from 8x8, a half dozen network printers, and about a dozen WiFi clients between cell phones and laptops.

Is the RT-N66U still a good choice for this type of network? I am thinking the RT-N66U plus dd-wrt/openwrt/tomato would be a good option.

E: I should mention we have Comcast Business 50/10 internet connection and I am responsible for administering the equipment. I am not an IT guy, I just have the most experience just as an enthusiast, so they let me deal with it.

sbyers77 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 14, 2014

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Well, to be fair it was running fine for quite awhile with a D-Link DIR-655 provided by 8x8. But in the last couple of months the router has required reboots with increased frequency. It used to be once a month, then once a week, until it got to the point where it needed to be reboot once a day.

I replaced it with a Netgear WNR2000 we had laying around but that didn't last a week before the wifi refused to work (Wifi clients can connect to the AP with strong signal, but no internet access). Now I am looking to upgrade to something more robust.

From the router the network is distrubuted through two main switches to the network jacks throughout the building, then we have aditional switches where needed when we only have one jack but multiple clients. The setup is:

code:
Comcast Modem SMGD3G > Router > Switch 1 > Clients
		     	      |          |> Switch 3,4 > Clients
		     	      |
		              |> Switch 2 > Clients
		     	      |           |> Switch 5,6 > Clients
			      |
			      |> WiFi

Not exactly perfect but you get the idea. Yes, we have a dumb number of network printers, three are Zebra label printer, three are laser paper printers with different types of stock in them.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

I think I have to come in with coax since I am getting television as well but I would like to avoid being locked into renting some garbage equipment from verizon when I have my own nice routers and whatnot.

If you have TV service you are going to be coax. They provide you with their router but they don't charge a monthly fee for it (at least that's how it works where I am with Frontier).

The older versions of the routers had ridiculously small NAT tables that would crap out the internet if you torrent or play online games, but the newer ones are supposedly okay. There are a variety of workarounds to use your own router and still have the provided router pump-out info to the Set-Top Boxes for on-screen TV guides, but I do not have experience with this (I have internet only wired via ethernet).

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

sbyers77 posted:

I work for a small company with less than 5 employees for the day-to-day, but we have a fairly complicated network that consumer routers can't seem to keep up with. We have about 6-10 hardwired computers (depending on the day) distributed on a variety of switches, a half dozen VoIP phones from 8x8, a half dozen network printers, and about a dozen WiFi clients between cell phones and laptops.

Is the RT-N66U still a good choice for this type of network? I am thinking the RT-N66U plus dd-wrt/openwrt/tomato would be a good option.

E: I should mention we have Comcast Business 50/10 internet connection and I am responsible for administering the equipment. I am not an IT guy, I just have the most experience just as an enthusiast, so they let me deal with it.

Quoting myself here, but I ended up going with the RT-N66U and flashed Tomato by Shibby on it. Really happy so far, highly impressed by the router. It has some noticeable heft because it has an internal heat-sink.

I had the same issue others had with the firmware flash taking a long time to complete, but once it was done it worked fine. (Another note: I've read its more-or-less impossible to brick this router with a failed flash, it always reverts back to a flashable state, which is nice.)

I really like Tomato. It's simple yet powerful. And it seems to be on of the few firmwares that are still actively developed (I don't get dd-wrt, it is still "pre SP2" which was initially released 2012?).

The RT-N66U is awesome and I would recommend it.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

UncleGuito posted:

I tried to disable auto negotiation but that didn't work so I just reflashed to an older version and got my normal speeds back. Thanks!

When I flashed Tomato I had to clear the NVRAM first thing or else I had weird stuff happening like you describe. It's usually in the instructions but I got excited that it flashed I didn't finish the last two steps.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I put Tomato USB 1.28 by Shibby on my RT-N66U at work here (small business) that has probably 20 wired clients and a dozen wireless and I haven't had any issues whatsoever since I installed it.

code:
Uptime	146 days, 04:23:06
That means it's been up since I last posed about it in May.

I even have it on a UPS so it stays up when we have transient power outages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

For all you wi-fi roaming people, this is the guide I used and had good success with:

http://superuser.com/questions/122441/how-can-i-get-the-same-ssid-for-multiple-access-points

My setup is like this: Main router with DHCP enabled, Wifi enabled on Channel 1, IP address is 192.168.1.1. That is wired to a second router with DHCP turned off on IP 192.168.1.2, wifi enabled on channel 6. Both routers set to the same SSID with same security settings and passcode.

Wireless clients roam perfectly well between APs. While it's not fancy zero handoff stuff, it works well for basic household wireless duties.