Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Another vote for powerline networking. I'm using a pair of the Belkin VideoLink 200Mbps sets on a 600 foot combo of buried Romex and extension cords to a Compaw Armada 1GHz PIII laptop and 3G CDMA modem running as a router. Oddly, it doesn't work without the UPS connected on the supply side, it must reflect the signal up the cable or limit noise.

It has no problems with the 3/1Mb connection :v:, though I can easily max out the 15MB/s of the laptop drive copying over the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

FlyingCheese posted:

Some things would work, some things wouldn't for instance, websites wouldn't work but Steam does. Logging into my TP-Link router and doing a release/renew on the WAN IP fixes it for another couple hours.

That really sounds like a DNS issue where traffic works but websites aren't accessible sporadically , are you using the ISP's DNS servers? If you can add others, try OpenDNS IPs (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) or Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Solution: Move the folders you want to share into a new folder, and share that new folder.

I don't remember if symbolic links work with SMB shares but that could work too.

Putting up my little hinged rack today, its been fun finding out that my Cisco panel antenna cables are so short I can't open the rack all the way. Boo.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

I set up a temporary PiVPN (http://www.pivpn.io/) about two months ago for a security convention and configured my laptop and android system to use the OVPN creds it generated.

I configured the custom port for the VPN server to be allowed to accept incoming connections but testing the connection over LTE (which gets around 4MB max download speed) from my phone, I could only get 400KB max. It looked like, after doing several tests, that the speed might have been a hard coded limit since while I was downloading the over the VPN, it was only going to 20% CPU used and sipping on memory. It was in a room connected via gigabit back to the main router over another router-turned-bridge (the main router handles all the DHCP and other nonsense. ). Testing the VPN on my laptop (using the phone as a tether with it's own VPN service turned off) I was still only getting 400KBps. Doing a speed test on my phone (not speedtest to try to avoid telecom preference) still showed I was getting way better speeds than what the VPN was maxxing out at.

My ISP is Verizon FIOS and I got 100Mbps/100Mbps service.

I would have been happy with at least 1 or 2 MBps

Something with hardware crypto is likely your best bet. The WISP I work for uses Mikrotik* and the VPN performance is great.

*They're Cloud Core Routers but there's other options for hardware acceleration:
RB1000
RB1100AHx2
All CloudCoureRouter series boards
RB850Gx2
Hex v3
from Here

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

All of my Internet of poo poo/dev stuff goes through a VLAN with packet capture in case something gets clever. It was as easy as setting the VLAN tag for that SSID in the UniFi controller, and some src-NAT in the RouterBoard so I had separate DHCP ranges for each SSID/tag. It decodes the VLAN for the garbage(severely limited and logged), one for guests (no NAS+limits), and the normal everything traffic.

I have an UniFi AC-LR, 450G and an old Netgear GS108. My workspace has two drops, one for each VLAN so I can have wired IoT/dev be monitored still and not need another routerboard. I'm changing to either the 960PGS or the EdgeRouter POE since my Internet connection is via a Powerbeam ac and I hate the drat powerbricks.