Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Is there anything I should look for in a wireless adapter?

I've not had to buy one for years now, should just any random USB Wireless N+ one do the job or are there ones to avoid etc...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

My internet connection is apparently supposed to be close to 9mb (according to the initial reports from the ISP) and it's currently running at 3.6.

I've phoned the ISP no less than 800 (eight hundred) times, had technicians out (both line techs and broadband techs) and still they say that the best I can hope for is around 5mb given the distance I live from the telephone exchange. Which is still faster than my current speed (tested this morning at 3.6)

Will using CAT6 cables to connect my devices and getting a 'fancy' shielded RJ11 modem cable help anything in any way at all?

Is there such a thing as a 'better' network/phone cable or are they generally all the same?

Basically the cables i'm using at the moment came with my lovely Sky (I live in the UK) access point/router and i'm very skeptical to the quality of them. People on Amazon are saying "YES BUYING THIS GOLD CABLE IT GAVE ME AN EXTRA 3MB!!!!!" which I don't believe but im curious if cable quality is a factor and if anyone can confirm/deny?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

e.pilot posted:

To troubleshoot, I'd try hooking something up to your modem directly.

Also use as short of a cable as possible from your modem to the wall.

Try to take out as many variables as possible.

How old is the phone wiring in your house?

Sorry I forgot to mention all of those things.

House is new, less than 5 years old. I've tried a cable that was about 3 inches long (took it out of a microfilter) it's an all in one router/modem/access point so I can't isolate the modem unfortunately.

I've even tried another box entirely (Sky sent me 2 by accident for some reason) and they both generate the same results.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Rakthar posted:

Are you on DSL? DSL degrades with distance from the ISP's point of presence near your neighborhood. It starts with a high maximum speed at short distances, and then reduces down to about 1.5 megabits at very long distances.

If you are using DSL what the techs are telling you is that the distance between the company's equipment and your house is far enough that the signal has degraded quite a bit by the time it reaches you. If that's the case, nothing you do inside the house will help.

Do you have the option to switch to Cable or a different DSL provider?

I'm about 1.5 miles from the exchange but the website I found that info from also told me that fibre is due to be installed on the 30th so it looks like that's what I'll be buying anyway.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I have a 3 year old router/access point my ISP sent me (Sky in the UK) would I see any benefit to my connection speed/ping if I was to buy a newer 3rd party one or is it not worth even looking for?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I have a 2008 desktop machine I want to get working wirelessly. I have a wireless AC access point and is like to use the full speed. I'm guessing a USB2 dongle will be a huge bottleneck, so what other options do I have? PCIE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

480Mbps is plenty of bandwidth (your Wifi will never be close to its advertised throughput), but in my experience USB Wifi dongles suck (possibly for heat dissipation reasons?).

Get a PCIe to mini PCIe adapter like this: https://goo.gl/8INd4P

And a used Intel 7260 wireless AC/BT4.0 card like this: http://goo.gl/Xsd8fT

Make sure the antenna count on the adapter matches up to the antenna count on the card.

Had no idea those adapter cards existed. Thanks!