Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
haha hi also closing monday pal, but mine is up in Port Orchard, WA

that said, I've got gbit fiber coming so i did a little networking prep ahead of time

i cant wait lol

edge side for internet/other-network facing, unfii for wireless APs and security cams off that 150w PoE switch on the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

movax posted:

Happy to see someone else was a sucker paid for Ubiquiti rack mount kits :hmmyes:

the :yayclod: key rack thing is a bit obscene but in for a penny in for a pound and all...

i don't Get why it needs to have active components in it, but im gonna use the clod key for cam storage so having it nice and hidden behind a RU panel is nice

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Glad the upgrade fuckery happened before I set up my own ubiquiti stack tho lol

Hopefully they got done whatever bullshit they were trying to do

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Yeah no UDM here just edgerouter+edgeswitch and unifi stuff with the clod key gen2+

The UDM didn't have PoE ports so i'd have to get the unifi poe switch anyway, just seemed dumb at that point

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
cool my cams showed up

now to find a contractor to run all this cat6 and put them up

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Thread Related: I am spending a nice new luxury car amount of money to get fiber installed ot my prem, like, aerial and trenched sections, brought to my house.

I'm insane. But that's what 2020 did to my brain and god damnit if im not going to get that pure gig uplink

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H110Hawk posted:

Who is doing this? A clec or lec?

My county public utilities district runs a fiber network, people can just connect if they are willing to pay for it. Ideally with a grip of neighbors, but nobody around me cares so im just doing it solo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H110Hawk posted:

Nice. How many feet (miles?) of fiber are you installing?

3000ft aerial & 500ft underground trenched

$34,000

Yes, 2020 has given me brain disease, but I don't care... It's my fiber on a public backbone with choice of a half dozen ISPs for internet transit all at gig/gig speeds. I'm not locked into any particular ISP so if i want to step up to actually push p95 traffic levels of commercial rates i can switch billing up to that easily with my pick of providers, all to my house.

it's not like centurylink or nothing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H110Hawk posted:

I'm really jealous. A coworker was talking about trying to get fiber to his house in the Middle of Nowhere but it's ATT poles and they give 0 fucks. Not "how much" but "how bout you gently caress off." Pasadena has muni fiber but will not hookup homes due to monopoly agreements with the various incumbents. My town is similar but without the muni fiber ring - it's frontier, spectrum, or nothing. I can see a Zayo manhole from my house.

the thing is i am absolutely in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking (Port Orchard, WA, population 14,200, between gig harbor and bremerton, on the peninsula west of the puget sound... it's not like a suburb of Denver like i just moved from where it was dense AF but comcast sued any competition out of existence that tried to move in)

I can't believe that this county (Kitsap) has this, all just a community effort over the past like 5 years to allow people to pay their own runs, i got so lucky

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
if your'e talking about REL's i think most all voip stuff wants just 1 phone on it if it's anything somewhat drawing of power.

frankly im not sure that old school analog ringer phones even work on most voip poo poo, but could be wrong, i just remember up till like 2008 or so tech sucking rear end im sure its better now

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I just invested a bunch into Ubiquiti stack, edge+unifi+protect did i make a bad decision lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
is all the criticism about that dream machine thing cuz i didnt get one of those, im doing it piecemeal with edge on the internet side and house wiring then cams/APs/etc user space on unifi

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
e: oops pls disregard

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is there any benefit to enabling IPv6 on my router? Like, is there any practical benefit from doing so at this point?

well, for one, if you can avoid cgnat it's preferred, but no not really unless you're trying to deploy a bunch of users with no ip space in v4

i dont think it often hurts? I mean it's just another way to route to the same poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

astral posted:

What kind of IPv6 implementation did your ISP have?

Probably CGNATing everything into their legacy v4 interconnects

compatibility: yes
good idea: no

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

codo27 posted:

This doesn't add up to me. Why's the 550VA unit last longer than the 650?

Probably a smaller inverter, that takes less juice when not being driven hard

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

KidDynamite posted:

hello all new house owner here. What sort of professional should I be looking for to run cat6 drops throughout my home? Want to do 4 rooms and the basement. I'm very excited at the prospect of a mostly wired network.

i went through a local hifi installer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a trick to telling how recently a cable modem came out? Like if I want a Docsis 3.0 modem, how can I tell if a "new" one on Amazon was produced in 2006 or in 2021? For purposes of power efficiency mostly and not having new-old-stock with ancient capacitors and stuff.

Not to be a prick but I'd just say grab the arris surfboard for $99 off amazon with 1 day delivery and check the date code of mfg and return it if its old. That poo poo cycles so fast tho it was probably made last month.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got my current modem from BestBuy - I personally avoid Amazon unless there are literally no other options. I'm pretty sure you're more likely to get newer hardware through BestBuy than Amazon, too.

Truly depends on what you're getting. For poo poo like a common cable modem where a thousand people are ordering them an hour the poo poo rotates quick.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

NovaLion posted:

If I have the house wired for Fiber, would that cause any hiccups with a non-fiber service? Or is that purely to communicate within the house?

just think of it like roads

fiber is like a interstate freeway

your internet might be a unpaved road satellite or gravel road dsl or city street cable modem but you can turn from any of them onto yours, its just the local area network in your place would be blazing fast, and things would be as slow as the roads you connect to externally for destinations there

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

KKKLIP ART posted:

I mean I have a USG3 and 2 Unifi AC Lites, looking to do a 6LR downstairs and a 6 Lite upstairs. We have a weird split level and part brick so it just eats WiFi like crazy. We do most of our hanging downstairs and the LR has better radios, just going to turn down the signal strength and call it good.

Now looking to swap to AT&T gigabit and that sweet upload speed.

From what i've heard hanging out on the ubiquiti discord is that basically any of the APs, if you're using multiple together meshed, is to set 5ghz to Medium and 2ghz to Low, across the board.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Got my fiber run terminated to the side of my house yesterday, but the ISP wasnt able to come complete the demarcation. Waiting for tuesday.

In that time i Realllly could stand to actually do the patch panel punchdowns and clean this up without wires all just home-runned wherever.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Toe Rag posted:

I want to vomit.

vomit, then come do my patch panels for me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
at least i have the parts to patch my poo poo down properly and clean it up, i just havent expended the effort to yet (nor the desire to shut the whole house down of internet while i do so and uh this is a "multiple streaming household"

fiber just on the fuckin raised floor in the dirt and dust

unknown posted:

The protip on network cabling is figure out what to do with the excess cable length or have custom length made cables each time.

yeah since i just had all this cat6 installed in my house i asked the guy to leave me 20 extra feet in the garage... so like in the pic, there's some bundling going on until it hits the rack... Gonna give myself like a 2 foot service loop of spare cable in a circle then into the cabinet and cut to fit to terminate into patch panels, then do all patches from then on with cable management

just need to uh do it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

boom headshot

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Dang, I had a local Hi-Fi installer ( https://www.nutsabouthifi.com/ ) do the wire work in my 2300sqft split level (No basement or attic, just small crawlspaces) - Total of 6x pulls of 2x CAT6 each to wall jacks, 6 security cams with a single CAT6 run, cams mounted and terminated, and 3x APs run of just a single CAT6 each.... A total of 21 CAT6 runs all over the drat house including high heights ladder work for just shy of ~$3000

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
that is double the cost for half the work vs what i had and i live in an expensive area

tell them to take that quote and shove it up their rear end

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
:golfclap: real :golfclap: poe :golfclap: only :golfclap: poe :golfclap:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Less Fat Luke posted:

I have some in-wall RJ45 panels that are backed by what I think are keystone jacks (see the pic below). I'd like to replace them with some in wall Unifi APs - the APs themselves take an RJ45 connection. Is there a way to do this without re-crimping the cable or can the keystone jack be converted in some way?

I would re-crimp ends on those 100% anyway just because of the sloppy job that's done at present. I know that's just Cat-5 not Cat-6, but still, the terminations are supposed to be tight and not with excess wire stripped or untwisted.

The alternative would be to unclip the keystones (yes, that's what those are, there's a tab that locks them into the plate that you can squeeze to remove them from the plate) - unclip them and just use a patch cable between the loose keystone and the in-wall AP, but that's gross on several levels, including the lovely job done terminating the keystones themselves.

I just wired my house with Cat-6 all over but i did the terminations myself, which is supposed to look more like this:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Less Fat Luke posted:

When you say "unclip them and just use a patch cable between the loose keystone and the in-wall AP"

it's the ghetto option as noted here: (*I do not know what LRADIKAL means by chop outlet in half tho, those keystone blocks just snap out of it)

LRADIKAL posted:

You should crimp it for sure. The ghetto option is to chop the outlet in half, plug a patch cable into the keystone jack and shove it inside the wall, then simply snap that patch cable into your new device.

the left side of the wall plate in your photo looks like it would have a 6p2c and a pair of 8p8c, no clue what the installer meant with the colors of hte keystones, maybe vlan separation in the former switch. but yes you just would pop the whole block out of hte face plate, and connect it with a standard ethernet cable to the AP, then shove all the mess into the wall.

that's ghetto and horrible tho don't do it

just crimp on a new 8p8c end onto one of the Cat-5s, tape the ohter two to the one so in the future they aren't lost in the wall, and hook the AP up directly with no keystones or patches

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Biowarfare posted:

incredibly stupid ... announce a /24 instead of pay $30-50/m/IP for my NAS, gameserver/homelab VMs, plex server, etc

you are aware of NAT, right

these things not only can exist without their own publically routable IPs, they shouldn't get publically routable IPs lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Biowarfare posted:

re: nat - yeah i know. i host stuff for friends, back up my colos/side projects, run a couple of gameservers from the bedroom closet.

it's not even that, it sjust the other things you listed like homelab and intranetty assets. i know you know what a nat is its just .... gently caress i hate condoms too but the internet is a hard limit. i at least want some single gateway instead of going full bareback with my devices to their own respective security and update status

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gyshall posted:

I have a primary and secondary DNS server running on my LAN, currently each uses 127.0.0.1 to resolve DNS.

Should instead be setting the DNS address to some combination of the primary/secondary ipv4 IP? Or is this setup fine?

If your local DNS server is using 127.0.0.1, that means "themselves" which in turn means, whatever DNS server they get from DHCP is what they are pulling from, likely your cable internet/whatever internet you have's DNS on their network. So if you have Comcast Cable, their DNS server is going to come across in the DHCP reservation as your servers pull an address.

If that's fine for you, then it's fine, but they're not just getting the lookups locally from thin air... I think on my local network I have my pihole set to source from 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, the cloudflare resolvers. Many used to use 4.2.2.1 (Level 3 - they do bullshit now like stuff ads in for NXDOMAIN lookups) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) etc. There's nothing wrong per-se with just using your ISP's though.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

brand engager posted:

Did ubiquiti go downhill suddenly?

They closed-sourced their surveillance products to appeal to more sales channels and pissed off a huge swath of users who wanted it to stay FOSS forever. They didn't give a very good upgrade path either, just "time to rebuy and this time you gotta buy our NVR as well"

That's all that i know of, but man people got bent over it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I mean, that screen shot is going thru unifi.ui.com, the cloud management shits. I have all that off anyway, i just use it on a local hostname and i'd be real surprised if it showed up there.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Vintersorg posted:

I messaged my networking buddy wanted to check with you guys on something. I had to wire up my own keystones and terminate the other end tonight in my new house because apparently asking for this means they only run the wire... anyways. I used tool less keystones (I regret it now) and eventually got things working well. However, I didn't have a flush edge cutter so theres a little bit of wire sticking out the side, I cut as close as I could. Will this gently caress things up? Should I go buy one and cut it flush? I was thinking that if these go bust I am going to buy a proper keystone and my buddy will loan me his punch tool. I showed him a picture and he said it should be ok though.

Just worried when I get my internet installed and suddenly it's all poo poo.

This one we had some issues with closing in this picture but went back after we made sure to run each wire through both posts inside. It closed with a click thankfully.

take a boxcutter blade knife and chop off those ends. it does matter if at the least level of the ends potentially shorting in the future but also electricity at high speeds likes to have clean bends and that might introduce some oddities to leave anything perpendicular inline with the jack like that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

hooah posted:

Perhaps a silly question: do devices on a network default to using the gateway for DNS? I.e. do I need to configure the DNS address for every device on my network, or just the router?

The DNS server(s) devices on a network use is part of the DHCP exchange when devices learn their IP address, or statically overridden in the device's own networking config.

It's most commonly whatever your router told the clients to point at, usually itself.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
It sucks that the pivot of management/change of opinion happened AFTER i bought in several large worth of their stuff lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

That Works posted:

How often does Ubiquiti's stuff go back in stock? Was considering an edgerouter ER-X and a long range AP but both are OOS. Fine waiting on that but just wondering if that was like a "we have no clue when, might be several months" wait or just a "come back in 2 weeks" kind of wait. Anyone know?

Get on the email notification thing and pounce when they're in stock. Couple weeks or so in my past experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

RoboBoogie posted:

I am in the process of buying a house with 3 ethernet lines ( i think i saw one outside but im not sure what the builder was thinking when they built the house). So I may have to hire someone to install ethernet in the ceilings for some ceiling mounted APs.

The house was built in 2015 and there are four levels (2600 sq ft row home) how screwed am i?

I had an absolute shitload of cat6 ran in the house i moved into last year and it was about $2000. I found a local hifi stereo dealer that did custom systems since they're in walls running wire all day every day. Worked out the best for me vs. any other kind of installer quotes i got, including claimed "low voltage DC wiring" skillsets.

edit: 1975 trilevel with no crawlspace and 3 separate tiny attics

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 25, 2021