Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Please pardon what could could be a long dumb post, but looking for help as I help my in-laws set up a better network at their house.

They are currently under construction on a guest house and pool house, and I'd like to get them set up with a solution that covers the whole property. My father-in-law is a contractor and is doing most of the work himself, but when it comes to the tech side is a bit clueless. I sketched out what I think I need to get to get them covered, but let me know if any of this looks off.

From a house/device standpoint, when all is said and done here's what they will have:

MAIN HOUSE: modem comes in here, will have wireless + a couple connected TVs, sonos, iPhones/iPads
STUDIO: connected TV/wireless coverage
GYM: connected TV/wireless coverage
GATE: internet connected gate, this can be wired
GUEST HOUSE: internet connected TVs/entertainment unit/sonos/wireless coverage
POOL HOUSE: internet connected TVs/entertainment unit/sonos/wireless coverage

I'm thinking each non-main house needs a small switch + access point, the main house needs a router, switch, and access point, and the gate is fine with cat6 run to the switch at the house.

I think each house is probably fine covered by one access point, and am trying to maximize the number of devices that can be connected via ethernet vs. wireless since there is a conduit with Cat6 running to each of the units from the main house.

Does this all sound reasonable, or am I in over my head and should just hire someone to do this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

derk posted:

also, with new construction, wired should be the only option, so easy to run wire BEFORE the drywall and ceilings are up and finished!

Yea, that's exactly why I'm having them start thinking about this now before he runs the electrical. And this is selfish help as well since my wife and I will be spending a ton of time there and I'd like to have functioning internet, haha.

So I'm gathering I'd need 5 Wireless APs: are the Unifi AC Lite's fine for this?
Then the switches for each unit: (5 total): US-8 Unifi Switches?
And then a gateway router in the main house to connect to the modem: Unifi Security Gateway

Does that seem right? I guess if there are more than 8 wired devices or access points at any location I'd need a bigger switch?

edit: I guess I could also just look into a mesh wireless solution for the whole property? pros/cons there?

ScooterMcTiny fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 5, 2018

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Most mesh solutions want to use wireless backhaul. If you've got cable running between buildings already there's no good reason not to use it for the backhaul.

This seems like a great use case for Ubiquiti in general.

Ok great, that’s what I was thinking at first. Looks like I’ll need a Cloud Key as well for network management? All things considered, not too complicated a set up I guess.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Got a bunch of Unifi gear ordered to get my mother in law’s house upgraded this weekend. I think it should be pretty straightforward to setup, but they have DSL and I’ve only ever dealt with cable/gigabit before. Plan is to keep their existing DSL modem/router and set it into bridge mode so just the modem is working. I know I need to get the PPPoE login info to get the USG set up properly. Any other red flags I should look out for?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Running into some trouble getting a Unifi Cloud Key up and running.

Somehow managed to successfully get a Pace 5268AC gateway into bridge mode at my in-laws. Current set up is now 5268AC gateway -> USG -> Unifi 8-60W + AC Pro + Cloud Key

Was able to get everything adopted and provisioned except for the Cloud Key. It appears the hardware reset is broken on my unit, but googled how to SSH into it and reset settings. Now I see the Cloud Key in my Unifi Dash, but am unable to get it adopted anywhere. It also now shows in the Device Discovery Tool with status Pending, and when I go to unifi.ubnt.com and sign into my cloud account, I now see the device. When I click ADOPT it takes me to the start of the entire network setup process (which I already went through to get the network + SSID, etc set up).

Is the actual process to go through this entire setup again, but now it's hosted on the cloud key vs. the Unifi desktop controller?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

You can migrate your UniFi settings from one controller to another. On your Desktop controller, go to Settings > Controller > Controller Hostname/IP and put in your cloud key IP address (this is assuming you've already gotten the cloud key kind of set up already) and check the "Override Inform Host..." box under that. Apply the changes - your devices will show up as offline now because they're trying to connect to the new controller IP now.

You then need to export the config that you have on your desktop controller (Settings > Maintenance > Backup > Download Backup) and import it to your Cloud Key (Settings > Maintenance > Restore, or if you haven't set up the controller yet you can choose to Recover from the initial setup). This will also carry over all the devices that you've previously adopted.

This worked perfectly - thank you!

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

H2SO4 posted:

Have you run a speedtest since doing this? Because if you're in DMZplus mode then you're kneecapping your speeds something fierce. At home I just said gently caress it and ran a line from the gateway to the WAN interface of my router and it worked fine despite the fact it's dual NAT.

Thankfully they just have lovely 18mb DSL so speed hasn’t been an issue but can you clarify what you mean? Didn’t know I actually had another option besides putting the pace into bridge mode then into the USG.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I just moved from a 700 sq ft apartment to a space twice as big, and my current network gear is showing its age. The place is wired out the rear end with coax, but apparently the only point with strong enough signal for the cable internet modem is in the front of the apartment. The Airport extreme I have up there doesn't reach the back of the apartment, and while the older Airport I have is technically working as a network extender, the speeds are only around ~20mbps which is awful. Trying to figure out what my options look like...

Option A - some sort of mesh network either Eero or Orbi or whatever
Option B - have someone come in who can replace the coax runs with Cat 6 cable (most of the runs are external over the roof/side of the unit - can you do that with network cable?) and then upgrade to a Ubiquiti setup with a couple access points.
Option C - something I haven't thought of yet

Side note... had to give up Sonic Fiber to move and holy poo poo do I miss Gigabit upload.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Finally bit the bullet and got a Unifi set up for my apartment. Got everything provisioned in no time so all good there.

We’ve got quite a few IoT devices - smart lock, plug switches, etc - what’s the best way for me to separate those from my main network for security purposes, while still maintaining ease of use? I have no experience with VLANs or anything but I’m sure I can figure it out if pointed in the right direction.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Upgraded my home system from an old Airport to a Unifi system a few months ago. Everything is working pretty flawlessly, however my MacBook Pro and my wife's MBP frequently have issues with connecting from sleep, and holding a connection. We'll have to turn wifi off and on a few times before the connection will hold. In addition, at times the connection to the MBP is pretty poo poo. For example, right now a speed test to the 15" MBP reads 45 mbps download, while the Mac mini sitting 2 feet away gets over 200 mbps down.

Any idea how I could diagnose this issue?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

One thing I found is that my MacBook hated specific channels and channel width combos for the 5ghz. Don’t know if that helps.

How do I change which channels the MBPs try and access?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

Sort of. The RG still tracks all sessions that flow through it; it just does not have to re-write the addresses since the 2nd router is already using the WAN IP. It's not a true bridge mode.

It will avoid double NAT trouble for e.g UPnP, though.

I’m not quite sure I follow all the issues here. I have a Unifi setup and am moving to a place where I will have AT&T Fiber. If all I really care about is plugging poo poo in and having internet work, and not any “advanced” features will I run into any trickle?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I swapped over to Eero from Unifi when I moved into my new house and I’ve got a couple UAC-AP-PROs with PoE injectors and a 60W 8 port switch if anyone is in the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I honestly don't really care about the quality. Being able to watch ESPN games at all would be a win. Half the time I would be using it I would be screwing around in the garage watching it on the TV in there.

Just use his cable company login to sign in to the ESPN app or whatever. Will work and be much simpler than whatever solution you are trying to come up with.