Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Ninja Rope posted:

It might be advertised as backplane speed or something similar, but there aren't many 10g switches that I can think of that have a backplane speed that won't let you utilize all available interface bandwidth. Unless it's a dlink or something? Regardless the 10g port should at least be able to do > 1g. Perhaps he should tell us the model of the switch.

It might be processor limited, but a 3750G in GNS3 starts to stutter at around 15gbps. Granted, if you're seeing sustained 15gbps in a home environment you've probably got bigger bottlenecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

The EA6500 is the largest, freshest, most steaming pile of poo poo ever. When it works (which is roughly half the time) the speeds are phenomenal but when it doesn't, dear god does it not. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to reset the LAN address to an inaccessible 10. address if the WAN connection is down? Thanks Linksys, I didn't want to use my own DHCP server anyway. No WDS, no bridge mode, RFC1483 doesn't work.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

UndyingShadow posted:

.ac is just too new to have any reliable goon data, since a) it's not supported by the custom firmware that is a favorite around here, and b) most people don't have devices that really support it

That said, after initial setup troubles, the western digital "my AC" router and bridge had been solid stable for 3 or 4 days (how long I've had it out of the box) but keep in mind it's running only as an access point due to reason a above

It's going to be a while before there's a consensus on what's good and what sucks. If you can, buy local, try it out and report back. If it sucks, return it and tell us.

RT-AC66U has dd-wrt AC support. The fastest step down from that is probably the e4200v1.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

loving amazing heads up, EA6500 has a DD-WRT release!
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=778068
That's the thread for it, link is on page 5. This router just went from the worst .ac router to possibly the best.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The first bit of my Ubiquiti kit has arrived, the Unifi AP. I've set it up, really easy and it's working well. The only thing is that it's advertised as a 300Mb access point, but it just has a 100Mb wired network connection. Quite annoying, looking at the spec sheets you need a Pro or an AC to get a gigabit connection.

Unless you're sitting 6 inches away the wired speed won't be your limiting factor. I have 900mb .ac and gig LACP and I still barely push 300 to NFS.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Citycop, most of the DD-WRT distros I've seen have netflow / rflow built in (Services page, about 2/3 the way down). Just grab the free version of Scrutinizer, shove it on a machine you can leave connected and that won't bitch about a 2GB+ RAM-cached MySQL db, assign it a static IP and point the DD-WRT rflow to it, and check it in a week.

edit
And learn how to kill rflow and httpd from ssh because if some rear end in a top hat's torrenting over it it will lock up quite a bit.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

For AC stuff, the Linksys EA6500v1 is fantastic once you flash it with DD-WRT. You still run into common DD-WRT problems like the webgui goes unresponsive once a week or so, but nothing major. It's total poo poo before you flash it though, and from the thread over there it seems to be 50/50 people who have to flash with TFTP, so make sure you're comfortable doing that if you buy one. I'm using it as my DD, it's crazy fast and as stable as basically any new bleeding edge router. The Asus RT-AC66U is really great right out of the box, easily the best stock AC router right now. With DD-WRT it's a bit slower than the EA6500 but a bit more stable, so that's the tradeoff. I was using it for a while, switched in the EA6500 to test it out and I had that set up for my network when a friend offered to buy the AC66U.

You're not going to get full 1750/1900 AC speeds without dropping $100 for a 3x3 adapter, so be aware of that. I've been using the A6200 since it came out, it's pretty drat unstable but I don't know if that's because of Windows 8's crap TCP/IP stack. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it, it's got a flaky USB connector and you have to search for win7/8 drivers because they're not on the CD.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 27, 2013

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

melon cat posted:

My ASUS N56U died a few days ago, so I picked up the Linksys EA6400. But now this thing doesn't let me load up Steam games (something's wrong with its port-forwarding. Wrestled with it for the entire day, then gave up). Annoying.

Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy router that's good for gaming and wireless data transfer between devices? I was thinking of ASUS RT-AC66U, but I'm open to other suggestions.

The AC66U is fantastic, but before you do that, check if the EA6400 has a DMZ setting. You might not need another router.

edit
According to this it does. Give your Steam computer a static IP and put it in the DMZ, that'll make it work.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 30, 2013

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

No, it's literally saying the /opt folder is mounted more than once. Type mount and see what else is pointed to it, or make the script work with a different mount point.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

code:
C:\Users\ben>tracert -d 159.153.85.144

Tracing route to 159.153.85.144 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.10
  2    48 ms    22 ms    22 ms  x.x.x.x
  3    22 ms    57 ms    22 ms  71.217.188.57
  4    23 ms    22 ms    68 ms  67.14.24.118
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6   355 ms   354 ms   353 ms  4.69.147.94
  7   213 ms   211 ms   213 ms  4.69.132.57
  8   234 ms   237 ms   238 ms  4.69.153.26
Solid work Centurylink.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

wolrah posted:

Any thoughts on the Netgear "unmanaged plus" switches such as the GS105/108/116E as a way to add VLAN capability to my home network cheaply?

I'm currently using plain gigabit desktop switches across the board and I'd like to add VLAN capability so I can better simulate some customer environments and to support a wired "guest network" that can't access my printer, DVR, etc. when I host LAN parties.

I rent so the amount of wiring required to properly home-run everything and just get a single large central switch is impractical, making trunked VLANs the next best option.

I'm also open to suggestions of other switch lines if there's a better choice for my needs.

Absolute requirements
Gigabit
802.1q VLANs
Port statistics (errors, traffic)

Features I'd pay a bit extra for
SNMP port stats
Useful CLI

Features I'd like, but don't expect to find in my price range
802.1x
LACP

I know the Netgears only hit the first of these three sections, using a proprietary app for configuration and control, but they're a lot cheaper than any other VLAN-aware switches I've found in the past.

Anything that supports DD-WRT will do all of these, assuming you have another dedicated device you can send rflow to that can also potentially act as a server for 802.1x. You can even set up virtual SSIDs on those VLANs.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think the point is that if a five-port will work, a DD-WRT router (even with wireless disabled) can be a cheaper VLAN-capable switch than the cheapest actual VLAN-capable switches.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. If you ABSOLUTELY need more than 5 ports (but not more than 5 VLANs) just hang a couple cheap rear end dumb switches off of it. And it's going to be way drat cheaper to use DD-WRT's implementation of .1x (if you have a server) than it will be to pick up something that supports it. Sure, you won't get fancy Cisco ASICs and 96gb of throughput, but I think you'll survive.

e
Not being a dick with this, but you are aware you'll need something upstream that supports trunking right?

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 19, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

What would cause my normally lovely CenturyLink DSL to become exceptionally lovely when the temperatures drop below freezing? I don't see any SnR decreases, latency stays about the same, I just get tons of packet loss.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

If they're on the same (as in both getting 192.168.2 IPs) network, your router settings won't affect anything, that's only for network traversal. I'd check your Plex logs and see if anything weird is going on, I have problems with my NAS Plex setup all the drat time.

Also, assuming it's a windows laptop, run
code:
netstat -a | findstr 32400
to make sure nothing else is trying to use 32400.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 18, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I got curious and tried it just now- the Xbox One at least doesn't support WPA2 Enterprise or .1x. I'd write up the guide except that I have no idea how I made freeradius work, I kept just trial and erroring until it did. poo poo is basically black magic compared to server 08 or 12.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

I'd at least switch from 8 to 6 or 11. On channel 8 you're getting overlap from both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Short answer, because ISP-provided modems are designed on the cheap, which covers almost all use cases.

Longer answer, they're usually designed to do something like a /30 DHCP scope with a fairly long lease. /30 means 30 bits of the 32-bit IP address are the network, with 2 bits left over for hosts. Quick math ((2^n)-2 is the formula) says /30 leaves 4 addresses, with 2 usable host addresses. One is taken by the router's LAN port, the other goes to your end device. Yeah, you'll get a /24 address from the modem's DHCP, but that's not really the "truth". The assumption is that you'll plop in a modem and a router and not really change either of them until the heat death of the universe, and that's generally a safe assumption.