Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124405

to replace my d-link ebr-2310. My d-link router is terrible, it pretty much cannot handle torrenting poo poo at all and locks up my connection. Would this one do that to? I think I read somewhere that said my d-link one can only handle 20 max connections before it craps out.

Anyways, for only $23 it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

E1000's can be flashed to the micro version of DD-WRT, a 300 MHz Broadcom CPU and 32 MB of RAM should help a bit as well, probably better for torrenting than your current setup.

I just got my e1000 v2.1, should I flash it to the dd-wrt thing or use the "official" firmware? I'm new to this.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Sounds good to. It's just for a basic home network(2 pcs, 1 laptop) and I don't think I need anything fancy, as long as it doesn't lock up when torrenting like I said before.

edit: Do you think the default security settings on this thing are enough? I want to make sure people that live around me cannot leech my connection. It did have a password I had to enter on the laptop to connect to the network, but it also had a "guest" account. Should I disable the guest account?

Slider fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 30, 2011

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks :) The updated firmware for the e1000 was on their forums and a little hard to find. It's here if any needs it.

Also, what WPA algorithm should I use for encryption?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yep seems to be working fine. The FAQ on their website says it'll work fine with default settings, but is there anything I need to really configure here? Only thing I've set up is the security settings/password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Just wanna thank the op and people in this thread - my e1000 works great. I can be downloading/uploading a ton of stuff all while playing BF3 and I don't lag at all. Pretty much :krad: for only spending $23 on it.