Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Okay, networking is like voodoo to me, so excuse me if this is a dumb question. I've been burnt buying hardware before, since apparently it's cool to say your magic boxes can do stuff but then have them not do it once they're unpacked, and then to have your own support hotline call your customers liars when they tell you that menu doesn't god drat exist.

I need some sort of super powerful access point to cover a huge old stone house. It needs to plug in to an existing wired network and then just use that to create a wireless network. Will http://www.scan.co.uk/products/netgear-wg103-100uks-prosafe-11g-access-point-inc-wds-and-snmp-for-advanced-network-management do that? And not have some stupid rear end Netgear Genie menu or whatever? (Most powerful thing I could find before spending £100+ on some D-link stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

You seem to be wanting to spend a fair bit on a business class wireless router. Why not use a Netgear 3500L from the op or 3700 if you want 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless? Cheaper, does what's marked on the box, more features, faster and there's no reason to use that genie program provided you can log into the router.

Simply because these offices seem to be some sort of horrible wireless trap, some of the internal walls are granite and so on. I asked if I could run cable and have several APs across the floors, but it's historical and they said no. Their current solution actually is a WNDR3700 with a WNR2000 repeater, and it's not giving them the coverage they need.

So, I was basically looking towards more powerful business units since features aren't so important and hoping I can find something powerful enough without having to spend huge amounts of money (charity office).

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is the wrong place since it's not a home issue, but I'm getting myself confused on Google and don't know where else to ask (Goons to the rescue).

My brother has bought some new IP cameras (AirCams) for his business. He's set them up on a new PoE switch. His existing network was a cheap modem/router from his cable company and another PoE switch, into which were plugged his point of sale computers, server, and IP phones.

What we want to do is keep them separate, but both still have access to the internet. Basically, he doesn't want his staff to be able to access the cameras at work or clog up his existing network, but he still wants to be able to access them at home over the internet/from his work computer if possible.

Where do I start? Everything I've read makes it sound like I need to get a new router, but is it that simple? Can anyone help?